• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

VL Lenses Are They Worth It

also, here's food or thought...

ask yourself this: why did you purchase Oakley shades in the first place? Because they exceed ansi Z87.1 spec and you wanted something that was the safest? Did you buy them because they looked better than the other stuff on the shelf next to them in the store? Were the optics that much better and you trust their reputation in the industry? Maybe it was a combination of some or all of these? If so, why would you buy an inferior, unproven alternative to replace The factory lenses?

Just an afterthought and thought I would try to bring that up...

And i have heard of aftermarket lenses stretching out Oakley frames to the point where the original wouldnt fit anymore. And if you put forward the cash to buy nice glasses, why put crappy lenses in them?

If you're worried about ruining the original lenses I have a few questions for you;

1. Are you ever going to use them? In other words are you going to use the VL lenses for activities that would put extreme stress or wear on the lenses, and swap in the original lenses at some other point?

2. Are you worried about replacing the lenses often?

3. Are you trying to preserve the lenses for collectability, resale, or some other reason?

You bought them to wear them. The original lenses might get ruined. If so they either go ruined while protecting your eyes, or you did something to cause it like storing your glasses in a bag of metal chips.

I got a pair of OEM Oakley lenses for my BatWolfs coming in, hopefully today, from eBay for 33 bucks including shipping.

It just depends on the seller, the model, and if you're on when they pop-up on there.

I did try to get an OEM for my Romeo 1.0 (scratched-up pair traded to a friend for an BNWB Ti XX polarized I had in double) and VL is the least worst of all of them. It does NOT mean that I like them. They are too thin so they rattle in the frame; they probably tried to work around the design flaw that stress-cracks the original lenses in the first place, but they went probably too safe. I also see a gap between the frame and lens, but it may also be caused my reluctance to tighten the frame more...

Conclusion: VL and other OEM lenses are barely acceptable for display

just have some oem cut to fit and be done with it...this keeps going on and on...lens rattle, cool colors, etc...all pointless when you are trashing your eyes. We all agree we won't wear gas station sunnies...so why put the equivalent lenses in your Oakleys? That is the bottom line...

Back