• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watches (other than Oakley) You're Wearing Today

I agree man hey at least you can still buy a watch at msrp from Omega. I'm kind of done with them too but I'll keep the 2 I own. But I agree on the crazy service costs and probably future part shortages for these fancy in house movements.

Nothing wrong with the good old ETA work horses. I love the 28xx movements and 7750's, there will always be parts and any competent watch shop can service them relatively cheap! I must admit I've been swayed by in house hyped special movements with big power reserves etc but I've come around to realizing gosh there really is so much sensibility and nothing really wrong with those old ETA's!
Absolutely. I am much happier with a gang of mid-level watches that look and perform awesome.

Any company that treats customers like they do and exercises the business model they do, of strangulating supply to go full diva on prices...I cannot support.
Secondary market perhaps they cannot control, and yeah all the newcomer Chads replacing the sensible deserters perpetuates the problem. Is the sub, in the metal, even worth the now 10k msrp, to say nothing of the nearly double scalper price? No way. You go get a solid gold chrono with complications from a company that actually reports earnings and pays taxes and doesn't engage in market shenanigans for the same or less money. The whole thing is idiotic.
Did they do me dirty? No, but I am infuriated that I sold my 116610lv which I loved - bought at msrp and then sold for a slight loss, to pay down student loans. The plan was to rebuy it when I was on my feet proper. Then, when I am on my feet proper finally I go to rebuy my beloved green sub and.......

then I read about how the name was invented because it sounds expensive, and how they basically stole the daytona movement from zenith, and how they stole the helium escape valve from doxa, and how they are a "charity" that doesn't have to report earnings or pay taxes, and how they are using their little puppet brand tudor to further elevate their status in the market, and you know what, I'm out.

"Oyster steel" haha!
I agree. I have switched to Omega, IWC Breitling and Ball for any new purchase. Even Tudor is a good buy even though they're part of the Rolex umbrella.

I feel they are kind of like panerai in that they are a one note band, but it's a good note. I'd want to handle one in person before spending the numbers they are asking, but I've read the build quality is superb.
Two notes at least, Ingenieur and Portugieser!

I agree man hey at least you can still buy a watch at msrp from Omega. I'm kind of done with them too but I'll keep the 2 I own. But I agree on the crazy service costs and probably future part shortages for these fancy in house movements.

Nothing wrong with the good old ETA work horses. I love the 28xx movements and 7750's, there will always be parts and any competent watch shop can service them relatively cheap! I must admit I've been swayed by in house hyped special movements with big power reserves etc but I've come around to realizing gosh there really is so much sensibility and nothing really wrong with those old ETA's!
Even better when they were Valjoux, with less drive to save money before the Venus acquisition. 7730 was a bit simpler and certainly cheaper to make but not as refined as the 72 and 92, and that carries through to the 7750. Still decent movements as ETAs though, just not as good as the Vj 72 used by Rolex, Zenith, Breitling, Heuer and many others, back when there wasn’t the current obsession with manufacture.

Any company that treats customers like they do and exercises the business model they do, of strangulating supply to go full diva on prices...I cannot support.
Secondary market perhaps they cannot control, and yeah all the newcomer Chads replacing the sensible deserters perpetuates the problem. Is the sub, in the metal, even worth the now 10k msrp, to say nothing of the nearly double scalper price? No way. You go get a solid gold chrono with complications from a company that actually reports earnings and pays taxes and doesn't engage in market shenanigans for the same or less money. The whole thing is idiotic.
Did they do me dirty? No, but I am infuriated that I sold my 116610lv which I loved - bought at msrp and then sold for a slight loss, to pay down student loans. The plan was to rebuy it when I was on my feet proper. Then, when I am on my feet proper finally I go to rebuy my beloved green sub and.......

then I read about how the name was invented because it sounds expensive, and how they basically stole the daytona movement from zenith, and how they stole the helium escape valve from doxa, and how they are a "charity" that doesn't have to report earnings or pay taxes, and how they are using their little puppet brand tudor to further elevate their status in the market, and you know what, I'm out.

"Oyster steel" haha!
Having owned both the Omega Seamaster 300m Professional Ceramic and the current Submariner Date, I would say the Submariner is absolutely a better watch. It’s a lot more refined. So, I do think it’s worth the MSRP but not the 17-20K that it sells at on the secondary/grey market.

I do find it nuts how much the Hulk has increased in value. I don’t think it’s worth the secondary price at all. I hope that now that free money has slowed, prices on it come down slowly.

My point of view is, if I’m paying $15k+ on a watch, I’m going with JLC or something from the Holy Trinity.

I don’t think that Rolex has ever invented anything truly ground breaking, but they are like Apple in the sense that they take existing inventions and implement them in a much more cohesive/sophisticated manner.

Back