• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watches (other than Oakley) You're Wearing Today

Having owned both the Omega Seamaster 300m Professional Ceramic and the current Submariner Date, I would say the Submariner is absolutely a better watch. It’s a lot more refined. So, I do think it’s worth the MSRP but not the 17-20K that it sells at on the secondary/grey market.

I do find it nuts how much the Hulk has increased in value. I don’t think it’s worth the secondary price at all. I hope that now that free money has slowed, prices on it come down slowly.

My point of view is, if I’m paying $15k+ on a watch, I’m going with JLC or something from the Holy Trinity.

I don’t think that Rolex has ever invented anything truly ground breaking, but they are like Apple in the sense that they take existing inventions and implement them in a much more cohesive/sophisticated manner.
I feel hands down the Omega seamster is a better than the Rolex Sub. The only place the Seamster falls a bit short is in the bracelet. But the case and movement I will give it to Omega.

I feel hands down the Omega seamster is a better than the Rolex Sub. The only place the Seamster falls a bit short is in the bracelet. But the case and movement I will give it to Omega.
My reason for saying the Sub is better is because of following reasons:
  • long power reserve, 70 hours vs 55
  • thinner 12.2mm vs 13.5mm
  • smaller lug to lug (48mm vs 50mm)
  • better bezel action, seamaster is much harder to turn especially if hands are wet/greasy
  • higher bph
  • longer service interval (10 years)
  • better implementation of bracelet due to taper and does not pull hair
  • better clasp due to polished swing arm, maintains skin to skin contact adhesion better
  • better implementation of diver's extension. Rolex submariner Glidelock is fixed length whereas Seamaster's implementation extends the length of the clasp by the adjustment you made.
  • lume - the skeleton hands of the seamaster die very quickly at night
  • platinum bezel markers vs Omega's enamel. The enamel bezel markers have qc issues where you can see bubbles/holes in them under magnification
  • no double sided A/R (this is a bonus for me, the A/R on the outside of the Omega's crystal gets hairline scratches, in my experience)

Seamaster wins in the following:
  • dial options
  • ceramic dial instead of laquer. You get the benefits of laquer, but durability of ceramic when you use ceramic dial.
  • See thru caseback, even if both movements finishing is done by machine.
  • better magnetism? This one is debatable with the new 32xx series movements by Rolex. They technically should be as amagnetic as Omega, but Omega has gone thru the trouble of certifications.
  • more complicated polishing due to lyre lugs
  • nicer box/packaging
  • half the price

Keep in mind that I have owned both modern representations for extensive periods of time.

My reason for saying the Sub is better is because of following reasons:
  • long power reserve, 70 hours vs 55
  • thinner 12.2mm vs 13.5mm
  • smaller lug to lug (48mm vs 50mm)
  • better bezel action, seamaster is much harder to turn especially if hands are wet/greasy
  • higher bph
  • longer service interval (10 years)
  • better implementation of bracelet due to taper and does not pull hair
  • better clasp due to polished swing arm, maintains skin to skin contact adhesion better
  • better implementation of diver's extension. Rolex submariner Glidelock is fixed length whereas Seamaster's implementation extends the length of the clasp by the adjustment you made.
  • lume - the skeleton hands of the seamaster die very quickly at night
  • platinum bezel markers vs Omega's enamel. The enamel bezel markers have qc issues where you can see bubbles/holes in them under magnification
  • no double sided A/R (this is a bonus for me, the A/R on the outside of the Omega's crystal gets hairline scratches, in my experience)

Seamaster wins in the following:
  • dial options
  • ceramic dial instead of laquer. You get the benefits of laquer, but durability of ceramic when you use ceramic dial.
  • See thru caseback, even if both movements finishing is done by machine.
  • better magnetism? This one is debatable with the new 32xx series movements by Rolex. They technically should be as amagnetic as Omega, but Omega has gone thru the trouble of certifications.
  • more complicated polishing due to lyre lugs
  • nicer box/packaging
  • half the price

Keep in mind that I have owned both modern representations for extensive periods of time.
Great comparison! I agree with all your points. I've never been able to pull the trigger on the smp300 even though it is impressive especially for the price.
The PO however...I found a valid sub rival in the 42mm titanium variant. I wouldn't trade it for a sub and I also have owned the sub for a multiple year period of time.

Honestly if I still had the hulk I'd be more tempted than ever to sell it given the current prices anyway. That margin from msrp is a car....

Here's my answer: Korean homage with japanese movement deals the sub itch for $250, it's actually marvelous and can be thrashed on and not worried about. Custom seiko on left handles the smp300 itch. titanium PO in center takes the cake (for me) :)
6722FD46-9EE6-460F-90A5-034EB5C16C42.jpeg

Great comparison! I agree with all your points. I've never been able to pull the trigger on the smp300 even though it is impressive especially for the price.
The PO however...I found a valid sub rival in the 42mm titanium variant. I wouldn't trade it for a sub and I also have owned the sub for a multiple year period of time.

Honestly if I still had the hulk I'd be more tempted than ever to sell it given the current prices anyway. That margin from msrp is a car....

Here's my answer: Korean homage with japanese movement deals the sub itch for $250, it's actually marvelous and can be thrashed on and not worried about. Custom seiko on left handles the smp300 itch. titanium PO in center takes the cake (for me) :)
View attachment 963010
Beautiful watches, all of them! And thanks for the comparison compliment! Felt like since I’ve worn them both for extended periods, I know the strengths of each.

@nicosauve1
For your Hulk replacement, you can get a MIDO Ocean Star 200c for $1150 retail. COSC certified. Double coated AR. Diver extension. Ceramic bezel. Wave dial. 12.5mm thick. Beveled lugs, beveled bracelet. What’s not to love?

5EA89C24-4650-4610-B4DA-4E3B8F9B68E3.jpeg

8AACE9E5-394D-40EC-88AA-14FD0272FDBB.jpeg

221E7775-1B0E-48C3-9E1D-5FED2DC0E3FC.jpeg

D90FE894-76C6-4E83-98A6-511D4464AADC.jpeg

87455C53-65FD-4C5E-B1B0-DD31761C37B9.jpeg

0B2648ED-F6F2-47C0-97FC-8A6D22C51E19.jpeg

@nicosauve1
For your Hulk replacement, you can get a MIDO Ocean Star 200c for $1150 retail. COSC certified. Double coated AR. Diver extension. Ceramic bezel. Wave dial. 12.5mm thick. Beveled lugs, beveled bracelet. What’s not to love?

View attachment 963174

View attachment 963175

View attachment 963176

View attachment 963177

View attachment 963178

View attachment 963179

@nicosauve1

View attachment 963174

View attachment 963175

View attachment 963176

View attachment 963177

View attachment 963178

View attachment 963179
The Tag Heuer Aqaracer in green is also a great choice as a Hulk replacement

20220501_143309.jpg

Last edited:
I've always loved the Hulk as well, but what I realized is that I love the color. It didn't necessarily have to be a Rolex. I scratched the itches separately and it was far more cost effective, IMO. Plus, those maxi-lugs of the Hulk are U G L Y.

Latest Posts

Back