• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watches Other Than Oakley

Dang, that 7750 is stuttering...

You're right it does look like it's struggling a little, interesting observation. The Elabore is a trim level of 7750, so there are 4 trims, base, elabore, and 2 higher trims than that. The difference comes down to shock absorption, decoration, tolerance for variance and # of positions it's adjusted in. The Elabore is what's in the Zelos, so it's not the best but it's still a 7750 and the movement alone costs >$450. I think they were trying to keep costs reasonable. For an upstart brand an automatic chronograph >$1000 is a risk. When mine comes in next week I'll post a couple pictures and talk a little about the chronograph function/how smooth it is 👍 👍

You're right it does look like it's struggling a little, interesting observation. The Elabore is a trim level of 7750, so there are 4 trims, base, elabore, and 2 higher trims than that. The difference comes down to shock absorption, decoration, tolerance for variance and # of positions it's adjusted in. The Elabore is what's in the Zelos, so it's not the best but it's still a 7750 and the movement alone costs >$450. I think they were trying to keep costs reasonable. For an upstart brand an automatic chronograph >$1000 is a risk. When mine comes in next week I'll post a couple pictures and talk a little about the chronograph function/how smooth it is 👍 👍
I got a 7750 in an Aragon and am quite happy with how smooth it is. (knock on wood)

It's about as good as my Breitling 7750.

I got a 7750 in an Aragon and am quite happy with how smooth it is. (knock on wood)

It's about as good as my Breitling 7750.

Nice, yeah I mean a 7750 is a 7750 is a 7750. Breitling does a terrific job of decorating and regulating, I know they basically make their own 7750 in house because of the ETA breakdown in the industry and they moved it all in house to insulate against that nonsense, but it's the same design and a 7750 at the end of the day.
One thing that drew me to this one was the lack of a date. A 7750, as you know, is fussy with how and when you can adjust the date. You can't do it when the hour hand is between 9 and 3 (through the 12) or it can mess up the movement and the date can get stuck, it requires a service to fix.. happened to my breitling colt and cost $500 to service..one of the reasons I sold it. All it takes is one time not paying attention to where the hour hand is before setting the date and boom. No date on this Zelos so will never run into that, looking forward to that lack of complication in owning a 7750 lol

Let’s not beat around the bush, the Vj/ETA 7750 was designed down to a price because column-wheel chronograph movements were proving too costly up against the quartz onslaught. It’s a robust movement that has lasted an age, but it’s no Vj 72. It also perpetuates the 6-9-12 layout, which isn’t optimal for legibility. 3-6-9 all the way.

Elaboré doesn’t give you much over the base movement, you’d want a top for that. Chronometer grade barely worth having, you’re mostly just paying the COSC certification fees 🤷🏻‍♂️

So it’s a decent robust movement but not the holy grail some here treated it as when it was in the FMJ.

Just discovered this watch company called Zelos, crazy awesome designs, they even did limited run tourbillons and hand winders as well. Nuts to put a meteorite dial and bezel on a bronze case with a 7750 chronograph, what?!

<iframe width="1869" height="1051" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The meteorite used in the dial and bezel is from this meteor, crashed into earth 1 million years BC! Muonionalusta - Wikipedia

Way too thick, IMO. :/

It's definitely nice but I prefer more classic proportions.

Nice, yeah I mean a 7750 is a 7750 is a 7750. Breitling does a terrific job of decorating and regulating, I know they basically make their own 7750 in house because of the ETA breakdown in the industry and they moved it all in house to insulate against that nonsense, but it's the same design and a 7750 at the end of the day.
One thing that drew me to this one was the lack of a date. A 7750, as you know, is fussy with how and when you can adjust the date. You can't do it when the hour hand is between 9 and 3 (through the 12) or it can mess up the movement and the date can get stuck, it requires a service to fix.. happened to my breitling colt and cost $500 to service..one of the reasons I sold it. All it takes is one time not paying attention to where the hour hand is before setting the date and boom. No date on this Zelos so will never run into that, looking forward to that lack of complication in owning a 7750 lol

Changing any movement between the danger zone will result in that. The exceptions that I know of are the Tudor in-house movements in the Pelagos and Black Bay and North Flag, as well as the Rolex 32xx calibers, I believe?

Changing any movement between the danger zone will result in that. The exceptions that I know of are the Tudor in-house movements in the Pelagos and Black Bay and North Flag, as well as the Rolex 32xx calibers, I believe?

My PO 9300 movement maybe gets around this issue with the date changing only via the hour hand forward or backward, no direct date adjustment through the stem. My panerai 9010 movement has the same functional design in that regard, can't move the date unless you crank the hour hand forward or backward enough times to get where you want the date to be.

Way too thick, IMO. :/

It's definitely nice but I prefer more classic proportions.
The thickness caught me off guard (that's what she said?) but when I realized my planet ocean is already 19.2mm thick, and it doesn't bother me, I went for it!
The lug to lug was really important to me though, it has to be 51mm or less, a lot of 44mm and up watches have way longer lug to lugs, like the breitling chronomat for example, can't wear it the lugs just hang off the end of my wrist. 48mm on this one is gonna be fine though

Let’s not beat around the bush, the Vj/ETA 7750 was designed down to a price because column-wheel chronograph movements were proving too costly up against the quartz onslaught. It’s a robust movement that has lasted an age, but it’s no Vj 72. It also perpetuates the 6-9-12 layout, which isn’t optimal for legibility. 3-6-9 all the way.

Elaboré doesn’t give you much over the base movement, you’d want a top for that. Chronometer grade barely worth having, you’re mostly just paying the COSC certification fees 🤷🏻‍♂️

So it’s a decent robust movement but not the holy grail some here treated it as when it was in the FMJ.
For sure 3 6 9 is the best! Breitling and others modified the 7750 to do just 3 and 9 I think in some older superocean heritage's, called it the 7753 or something. Completely agree it is the most basic cheapest and least frills automatic chronograph you can buy, but it ticks on like a mule and it works, and it has history I can appreciate. Would love a B01 someday but can't find a watch with it that looks good to my eyes, and I won't buy a tudor

My PO 9300 movement maybe gets around this issue with the date changing only via the hour hand forward or backward, no direct date adjustment through the stem. My panerai 9010 movement has the same functional design in that regard, can't move the date unless you crank the hour hand forward or backward enough times to get where you want the date to be.

Yep, it loses the quickset to achieve this. I believe right now, while retaining the quickset functionality, only the above mentioned calibers get around it. It was actually a pretty big deal when they engineered a solution. It never really bothered me though as I always keep a hard fast rule of never trying to quickset the date in the danger window. It's too complicated to remember which calibers are safe and which aren't.

Back