• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What's the best way to wear a Romeo 1 so lenses don't get spider cracks?

What's the best way to put on your Romeo 1

• Place R1 nose bridge on your nose and then rotate the arms down onto ears pivoting at nose.

• Place R1 on head with earstems touching ears. Then pivot R1s over forehead onto nose.

• I've got a pin head. I just ram them on like normal O-matter.

• Keep R1 horizontal and slide it down like wearing a hat.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
It's well known that the design of the Romeo 1 causes an increased risk of "spider cracks" at the junction of the outer orbital and the nose bridge during wearing.

People have shared that they often change the way they put them on, to reduce the chance of cracking the lenses.

I also try not to over tighten the orbital screws, but you wouldn't want to "under-do" it because of the risk of the lens dropping out!!

Method 1
I read somewhere to put them on your head first, then rotate them down (a bit like using a pair of goggles), but the disadvantage is that sometimes the lenses get dirty from the natural oils in hair.

Method 2
@X-Metal Beast told me about the opposite method, which was to have the R1 pivot from vertical to horizontal using your nose as the pivot point. But I find that the arms have to "spread" out as the try to "squeeze" past my temples compared to just sticking Method 1.

Method 3
@kronin323 just shared to put them on and off like putting on a hat. Probably the best method so far that works for me. Gets the best of both worlds. Stops the arms from being stretched AND stops oil grease from hair!

Do you have any other tips to minimise lens cracks from happening?

Last edited:
I’m surrprised no one has posted a for sale thread saying:

For Sale: R1 Mint and Complete
Display only
Spider cracks in lenses from being displayed

Apparently, you can get a loose nose bridge and discoloration simply by having an XMetal on display :rolleyes:

Back