• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What's Your Favorite Iridium?

24k was ahead for a long time, but black iridium made a late surge. I didn't distinguish between polarised and non-polarised, and went on the votes for looking through rather than at, where people made that distinction.

Ok, so spreadsheet OCD kicked in and I had to go through and assign points to each lens to see what the standings are. Allowing a scale of 5 for best through to 1 for 5th place (and averages for some who nominated more than 5 or had 2 lenses equal), it looks like:

Black 64
24k 54
Ice 47
Emerald 34
+Red 29
Fire 24
Gold 23
Ruby 17
Jade 16
Tungsten 15
VR28 black 14
OO black 8
Chrome 8
Violet 8
OO red 6
Blue/VR28 blue 6
Titanium 5
Slate 5
G30 4
Deep blue 3

OK, the way you described how you came up with the rankings is totally confusing. Could you please try again, in more detail?

OK, the way you described how you came up with the rankings is totally confusing. Could you please try again, in more detail?

Ok. Unless explicitly stated, I assumed any list was in ranking order. #1 in the list was assigned 5 points, #2 4, all the way down to #5 with 1 point.

It was complicated by putting lenses equal. In that case, I took averages. The simplest example would be someone putting 3 lenses equal top. For 3 lenses, 12 points are available (5 for #1, 4 for #2, 3 for #3) so each one gets 4 points using that system. It just saves skewing results by people putting equal top and giving those all 5 points. Proportional representation of sorts.

Equally, say someone has a top 3 but then quotes another 3 lenses afterwards. My scoring schema only allows for 5 lenses but rather than not giving the last of the 6 quoted any points at all, I take the 3 points available for places #4 and #5 and give each of the 3 lenses 1 point each.

Hope that clarifies what was really a simple time-wasting exercise in a spreadsheet!

I get it - the confusion was that I thought you were ranking within your own collection. But you were collating the results from the posts of this thread. Right?

Ah, yes. It was this thread I wanted to get a feel for the running total from. Now you mention it, though, a count of my own totals would be good!

I've been using Bronze polarized. Love to try a iridium. Which should I go for? Guess contrast type works for me. And honestly why should people pay more for polarized when iridium cuts glare too? Can anyone enlighten me?

I've been using Bronze polarized. Love to try a iridium. Which should I go for? Guess contrast type works for me. And honestly why should people pay more for polarized when iridium cuts glare too? Can anyone enlighten me?
big difference between polarized and iridium. iridium doesnt really cut the glare much, polarized does big time. try both and see. everything looks way better with a polarized lens. i can never go back

Favorite - Fire Iridium

Least Favorite - Positive Red Iridium (freaking purple lenses)

I've made several detailed posts about what the polarization does exactly - if you're interested and can't find them in a search I can dig them out at some point.

With iridium, that's really just Oakley's fancy name for their mirror coating - though they do cut glare a little bit, I think they add more value by helping hide your eyes. Polarization is a completely different ball of wax, though; I have a lot of trouble picking a non-polar pair to wear for the day when I could choose something polar instead...

Back