• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Who are the Best Lensmakers?

Truetattoo

Oakley Beginner
Hey! I have a set of Oakley Plates i got twenty years ago.

As the years have worn on they have held up!!! But I haven't. I need advice on a good lense maker who can make me some custom prescription lenses that are polarized, and have the same color as my origanal lenses and darkness.

I have Photophobia and these lenses have been a godsend, but now my distance vision is going and I need something to both keep the light our of my eyes as well as allow me to drive!

Thanks in advance

I am in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC

20230924_175947.jpg
20230924_175950.jpg
20230924_180112.jpg

Hey! I have a set of Oakley Plates i got twenty years ago.

As the years have worn on they have held up!!! But I haven't. I need advice on a good lense maker who can make me some custom prescription lenses that are polarized, and have the same color as my origanal lenses and darkness.

I have Photophobia and these lenses have been a godsend, but now my distance vision is going and I need something to both keep the light our of my eyes as well as allow me to drive!

Thanks in advance

I am in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC

View attachment 1086370View attachment 1086371View attachment 1086372
@Oak Heel thanks for the recommendation. When using old frames especially a plate the risk for damage is "at the buyers risk".

I would prefer not to do rx lenses in this as I fear the buyer here isn't willing to accept the inherent risk associated w lens processing on a 20 year old frame.

I could be wrong but i think it's better i don't work on this one.

The plates snapping off and needing to be reglued, the frame itself fracturing / cracking, the finish / paint chipping off. Basically those 3 things. I've done about 5 plano (no rx) lenses for these before. I think I had one frame have 1 plate break off. It was able to be reglued. But if these are RX i imagine that's your daily wear pair. Not for display only. Good luck on the hunt. Most places will struggle to match them. But you could buy a new Oakley w prizm gold iridium in rx and a different frame.

They are pretty easy to strip down, little tab at the front is taken out and the lenses are pretty easy to pop out.

Worse case a little dab of glue would be required if one of the “plates” becomes loose.

I can understand The Optical Champs reluctance to do it however, not as straight forward as the majority of Oakley frames for a lens swap out.

Yeah I have popped one of the plates out before by accident. Really, I do understand the risks. But I have had these for so long, and I wish to continue wearing them. My vision is just turning as I age, and I need corrective lenses to see road signs. @_@.

I have run into this problem for years now, I am just hoping that somewhere out there someone would be able to help me out ahhaha.

They are pretty easy to strip down, little tab at the front is taken out and the lenses are pretty easy to pop out.

Worse case a little dab of glue would be required if one of the “plates” becomes loose.

I can understand The Optical Champs reluctance to do it however, not as straight forward as the majority of Oakley frames for a lens swap out.
I know 1 plate comes off on purpose no goes needed which is nice. But rx lenses are thicker, so slightly riskier. But ya. I'd never Destroy them. Thanks for chiming in Jon @Jon the Don

Latest Posts

Back