• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘X-Metal Pricing - Relative Values (cacatman)

The discussion around pricing is always beneficial. I appreciate the OPs effort to illustrate a guide to help newer collectors to determine what they might expect. In time the guide may not be relevant unless it's frequently revisited. It's not nonsense. That's an opinion. Seasoned members are giving opinions about price and everyone is encouraged to join in. If a number of opinions tend to agree that a certain frame lens combo is worth around $500 that's a valid assessment coming from people who should know. If I'm the only one who feels a Medusa is worth $1500-$2000 grand complete I'll accept that my belief may be flawed. If the going rate drops to $1200 I'm comfortable never selling it and I'm still glad I have a wonderful piece. I bought all of my stuff because I like it. No other reason. Practically speaking many Oakley frames cost pennies to produce. That doesn't mean we can't have an intelligent discussion around some sought after shades that people find to be extremely unique.
Yup. My thoughts almost exactly, except you stated it more clearly than I ever could.

If people think the pricing is unreasonable, then present your case if you can be bothered. And if I see you've got a good point up or down, I'll certainly adjust it.

I'm not trying to low-ball or high ball anyone. I myself, both buy and (try to) sell x metals.

I'm trying to present a balanced guide.

There is obviously a consensus ballpark price for X-metals. Otherwise, why do people pooh pooh a published price or quickly move on a perceived "cheap" item?

Somewhere between those extremes is a reasonable price.

It sems to me from certain comments, that some have way more invested in their collections than just money. I can accept that.

However, this thread is attempting to address JUST the money aspect with some footnotes (some tongue in cheek) about how certain things may impact what an individual would be prepared to pay.

The notion that you can't or shouldn't attempt to publish or express an opinion about a price guide, I find a little bewildering, frankly.

Not having this list won't make Newbies/others not lowball you, nor prevent them from asking super high prices. Pretty much every newbie is going to go straight to eBay and then lowball you with the cheapest price they see on eBay (yes. Sometimes there are "bargains" there! And if you look far enough back, you'll find much lower prices at times than stuff sold even on OF). You will also find super high prices on eBay too, which affects Newbies when they sell.

To put this into perspective, in the past I have offered a frame (nothing wrong with it...just needed a tune up) for sale for $155. You know...I wanted to cover some/most of the shipping cost....hence the $155 instead of $150. A potential buyer asked if I would take $150 instead?

My answer was NO. I told the member that we all know what level of dirt my asking price was already, and he was going to squeeze another $5 out of that bone dry price? Please....

Try giving away free **** and having someone ask you to give them more of them.

Or again giving away free **** with the exception that the person pays the $3 shipping only to have someone ask "do I really have to pay the shipping?"

I feel ya on that man. We all try to buy stuff as cheap as possible but damn. If 5 bucks is breaking the deal, you shouldn't be buying oakley **** to begin with.

This thread started about xmetal prices and then turned into discussion about religion and politics. What a bunch of crap. FYI I was not offended by any of the religious or political comments I just feel politics and religion have no place in an Oakley forum. If you want to talk about politics and religion start a thread in the off topic section.

It would appear that we are already unwittingly engaged in a "religious" discussion. And I'm not talking about the references to Christianity.

I wish that the same level of fervency and passion demonstrated in parts of this thread was actually in the Church!!!

Re: excluding politics. That would mean banning @"TRUMP" from this thread and what fun would that be?

Last edited:
First rule of selling things on the internet - price high, expect lowballs, negotiate down to your real number
Second rule of selling things on the internet - if you priced it low to move it fast expect the same treatment as if you posted full price
Third rule of selling things on the internet - everything you put in your ad will need to be repeated
Fourth rule of selling things on the internet - it's not sold until you have the cash
Fifth rule of selling things on the internet - Honor your word and sell to whomever shows up to pay asking price or if you've committed to a deal
Excellent advice.
I'm using that. Hope you don't mind. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Try giving away free **** and having someone ask you to give them more of them.

Or again giving away free **** with the exception that the person pays the $3 shipping only to have someone ask "do I really have to pay the shipping?"

I feel ya on that man. We all try to buy stuff as cheap as possible but damn. If 5 bucks is breaking the deal, you shouldn't be buying oakley **** to begin with.

53571020.jpg

Back