• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Xmetal Finishes.....can they be removed?

Time to start playing with some acids.maybe muratic?
Yeah I tried some Purple stuff (supposedly stronger than Simple Green). No dice

I did take these up to better light and did see some improvement most likely from the dremel work I did but I would like to see if there is a less labor intensive way.

I'm talking about some band in California really caustic s*** not stuff you buy at Home Depot

That coating on the plasma finishes peels off when I blast it,and that coating whatever it is is thicker on the tips of the arms. Unless you completely remove it I don't think there's any way to change the color back to a clear finish. I think people that change the color ar simply removing that finish and getting right down to the raw titanium. It's kind of like a shellac but very heavy duty.

That coating on the plasma finishes peels off when I blast it,and that coating whatever it is is thicker on the tips of the arms. Unless you completely remove it I don't think there's any way to change the color back to a clear finish. I think people that change the color ar simply removing that finish and getting right down to the raw titanium. It's kind of like a shellac but very heavy duty.
Thank for insight. I'll probably try acid anyway just to see what happens. Most likely I'll be at a cross-road of determine if I way to continue this DIY trip, or just send them to you.

I applaud the experimentation maybe we can all learn something from your trials and tribulations

I'm reviving my own thread as it seems relevant to the topic. I'll see if I can edit the topic to add.......or cleaned!

So I have a pair of gen2 plasma frames that has some "yellowing" on parts of the finish. Otherwise they are in pretty good shape My thought was, these aren't so bad, maybe I can clean them and bring them back to life. I tried searching but have not had any luck finding the best method for cleaning, if that is possible in my case.

First attempt: Soak in Simple Green overnight. I thought maybe the discoloration was grime that just got into the finish. No luck
Second attempt: Meguiar's Ultimate Compound/dremel and felt polishing wheel. It looks like this worked a bit but still a lot of "yellowing". Before I invest more time with method I figured I stop and get some info.

At this point see taking 2 different routes.

A. Get yellowing gone
B. Paint

Is getting the "yellowing" gone possible and if "yes" what suggestions do you have?

If I decided to paint would I be foolish to think I could paint on top of the plasma finish or should it be stripped to bare metal?

Thanks in advance for your input

I've used my etch for anodizing to remove the yellowing on the 2nd gen plasma frames.

Latest Posts

Back