• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Broken Mars - what are the odds

I spoke with the second seller. He has 11 complete boxed sets. Wants about 300 per set. Hes trying to break them down to just pieces and get the most money. And he ripped the serial numbers off the boxes too.

Edit: he said its about 50/50 left and right broken. I got him to 220 for two frames, no lenses and no boxes. Maybe you can get him to go lower.

Half Mars, half Crater... Macrater?

Very clean breaks in both cases, even the non-matching one... Maybe they both got tune-up advice from the same person?

Could that be fixed by welding? I know it is possible to weld Titanium but I am not sure how delicate you can be. I have read somewhere on this form of people welding the bridge together to make it ridged.

Could that be fixed by welding? I know it is possible to weld Titanium but I am not sure how delicate you can be. I have read somewhere on this form of people welding the bridge together to make it ridged.
This seems like it defeats the purpose of the flex coupler design... I know it's possible but there is no way they could fit on a moderately sized head like mine without flex...

There was one pair that popped up welded like that, and it wasn't done by a forum member, IIRC. AFAIK, nobody here has successfully welded a repair. The problem has been the x-metal alloy has enough other metals in it to prevent normal Ti welding from working.

One guy recast an entire piece but it was prohibitively expensive.

This seems like it defeats the purpose of the flex coupler design... I know it's possible but there is no way they could fit on a moderately sized head like mine without flex...
Sorry, my post was a bit confusing. I meant weld the broken flex coupler. I just used the other bit as reason why i thought it could be done, not to actually do it. Like you, i feel this would not be particularly comfortable/practical.

There was one pair that popped up welded like that, and it wasn't done by a forum member, IIRC. AFAIK, nobody here has successfully welded a repair. The problem has been the x-metal alloy has enough other metals in it to prevent normal Ti welding from working.

One guy recast an entire piece but it was prohibitively expensive.
I guess the alloy has different melting properties which causes poor welds.

The re-casting sounds fun, but a pastime for millionaires. Where would you even begin to find a foundry to do that?

I am surprised that no one has tried to print a pair yet in titanium :)

Back