• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can you help identify 1990s frog skin…

Thank you, I'm trying to recreate/capture these for her as a present, not to wear but to reconnect with the 18yr I met 27yrs ago. It's a surprise idea and I'm trying to track a few options on ebay but my budget is very tight given these will not be used/worn, it's only a prop so to speak. You've been so helpful.

Yes the old school clear frames had a slight blue hue to them that new ones do not. They were made of different plastic that took on that tint. You wont find anything like that in modern pairs.

Also finding a gen 1 or gen 2 in remotely wearable condition for cheap would be pretty hard. They broke easily after they became brittle and if they are in even decent shape a collector would probably pick them up.

Yes the old school clear frames had a slight blue hue to them that new ones do not. They were made of different plastic that took on that tint. You wont find anything like that in modern pairs.

Also finding a gen 1 or gen 2 in remotely wearable condition for cheap would be pretty hard. They broke easily after they became brittle and if they are in even decent shape a collector would probably pick them up.
yes, exactly, I remember them to have a blue hue. That's exactly what I need but I don't need them to be wearable, she doesn't want or need new glasses. This is for the nostalgia, and maybe even that won't matter to her because I'm more symbolic than she is, that's why I can't afford to invest much money in them. Thank you for letting me know about the color because I was going crazy trying to find them against my memory and photos.

it definitely looks like she had gen 2 with the clear/blue hue frames and the violet iridium lenses. Now if I could only find them for like $50. Needle in a haystack.

You are best off getting one of these re-releases. They look very similar to the original and unless you are a degenerate that frequents this website you won't know the difference. Plus the newer frame material will be much more durable and the lens quality is superb.

Thank you, and by re-releases, you mean these "new" ones that have the polished clear frames?

Last edited:
Thank you, and be re-releases, you mean these "new" ones that have the polished clear frames?
Yes, those are the ones. They look great...I had the same pair you are referencing when I was a kid so I'm a big fan of that color combination as well. Their on my list to add to the collection but I'm way over the sunglasses budget for the year.

I completely understand, just trying to give you the best solution without spending a few hundred on a fragile pair of shades. As for finding a pair for $50 I wish you luck, you're talking to some true addicts/collectors here and if a vintage pair pops up for that price it isn't going to be around very long.

I believe these guys are both on here...maybe they'll cut you a deal. I think the color from the gen1-gen2 is very similar if not the same. Gen1 has metal hinges, that would be the most obvious difference.

Back