1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Zeke

Zeke - The Retarded Battle Continues ... Premium Member

In my situation, it will be for outdoor, handgun target practice ...

Just throwing out there what you folks like for a shooting lens ... ?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. NoFair

NoFair Oakley Collector

amber black iridium polarized or gray outdoors and clear indoors in Half Jacket XLJs

3. Patient_Cero

Patient_Cero Oakley Collector

Mainly use black iridium polarized and +red iridium polarized. But being in the Vegas desert haven't had the need for much else here for classes or range days.

4. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

CrazyALee and Zeke like this.
  5. Kuztomized

Kuztomized Oakley Collector

Never used them personally, but I know Prizm TR22 & TR45 lenses are made for shooting

kronin323 likes this.
  6. supersharp

supersharp X-Metal Connoisseur Premium Member

I've been using Flaks with VR 28 BIP for outdoor shooting.

7. Zeke

I will need something for/to qualify down here in TN for my Carry ... & I want to do it outside, ... have no interest, ever, in inhaling the crap from indoors.

Looks like my Flaks w/ Black Irids or +Reds, or HJ2s w/ Persimmon or Grey will work ...

Still I am interested in everyone's ideas, preferences, etc.

C'mon, ... SHOOT!!! :hunter:

8. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

I would say it really depends on what you're shooting, where you're shooting, what the targets are, what sights you have, etc.

Clear is a safe bet. I keep a junk pair of clear safety glasses in my range bag as backup/loaner. But I've been out shooting in various conditions and simple neutral lenses like grey and black are fine, polarized if it's sunny with snow or fresh rainfall. I've shot with tungsten, gold, VR28, they all work.

If you're doing clay sports the obvious choice is G26. I shot trap in college and I have a shotgun I built for competition in the years since, but I don't really shoot clays anymore. As much as I loved Sporting Clays it's a sport best played with friends and I don't have anyone that wants to spend a weekend afternoon on the clays course over something else.

The TR Prizm tints were geared more toward gun games. IDPA, USPSA, 3-Gun, IPSC, etc.

I don't know what "qualifying" for your carry permit requires, but here in MI you just need time on the range with the instructor to display safe handling, basic knowledge, and competency in firing at close distance. Pass/fail. Choosing a lens tint to really optimize contrast to the conditions is a bit overkill. I think I shot mine indoors with BIP on.

9. Zeke

Your explanation of MI law for qualify is pretty much the same here, but you have to have ear & eye protection, & I was not going to buy new eye stuff if what I have already fits the bill, which apparently it does, in spades.

But to answer your question further, I will be shooting pistols with stock sights in outdoor sun &/or cloudy conditions here in TN at paper targets at no more than maybe 30 yards with a few different pieces. A Colt .25 Auto, a S&W .38 Snub, & a H&K .40 ... probably a P2000K, not sure which one I will choose in a couple weeks, but it will be a Heckler. Pretty much those three, & becoming proficient in said ...

10. supersharp

supersharp X-Metal Connoisseur Premium Member

VR 28 should cover a wide range of outdoor conditions as described.