• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Do You Guys Do It?

Well I'm only 16 and I have 46 pairs and 2 display cases so you probably think I'm crazy. But mostly just saving up money and doing what makes you happy. All my friends just keep asking why I spend so much money on them and basically its because they make me happy and I truly love Oakley. I take pride in my collection

I see something I want, save up and buy it...simple as that. Whether it be oakleys, iPads tv's or clothes etc...I have a very mediocre job but me n my family live quite comfortably.... My friends laugh at how much I spend on "ridiculous things" as they call them but most people will probably waste £100 a week or more on **** like alcohol and going out and have nothing to show for it...I save and at the end of the month I have a shiny new gadget or shiny new pair of sunnies.lol...

Does anyone have any old, beat up, unwanted frogskins that they would want to let go for cheap? I need sunglasses for this summer...

Patience....and searching.....I am now up to 8 pairs of Juliets.....from 1 pair to 8 in 3 months.....I never paid more than $100 for any 1 pair of Juliets....some I paid $50 for....some trading involved....some smooth talking...lol....I have never really "scored" on eBay....unless you nab an auction as soon as its listed....some of mine needed tuning or new lenses but thats to be expected with X Metals....I feel better deals can be found on Craigslist....usually a case of someone not knowing what they have....then the smooth talking begins to get them to ship....it can be tricky but worth the payoff....be patient....ask alot of questions here....you will NOT find a better more knowledgeable group of Oakleyholics....not to mention very helpful and friendly....:biggrin:

Ryguy920 said:
Does anyone have any old, beat up, unwanted frogskins that they would want to let go for cheap? I need sunglasses for this summer...

Check the vault..they've got some frogs for relatively cheap. Probably cheaper than what any of us will let go for to be honest

I have been wheelin and dealin my whole life.... Find something you can make some $ on, buy it, flip it, skim some profit out, roll the money back into something else, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc.

I started working for myself full time in 2001 in my detached garage, Now I'm in a brand new, well it was new when I moved in, 8000 sf warehouse filled to the rafters with stuff to sell and trade. Do I hit a home run every time, not at all, but you learn by your mistakes and hopefully dont make many of them.

Well....I have collected a number of pairs over the years as well has a collection of watches over 10 years all of which have considerable value. My Oakley collection never exceeded 5 pairs until a number of adds recently due to the X Metal discontinuance. I financed 75% of that through sales of some watches and some Oakleys that I sold to adjust my rotation. Also by only buying low and piecing off unneeded parts, that further cuts cost (examples: bought BNIB Romeo on a smoking deal at $275 and recently sold the lenses which I didn't need for over $100 which financed TWO sets of other lenses, one for my XX which I got for $55 by using a 15% off code and a great price on some Fire Pol lenses for my XS; also I bought a pair of XS on blowout for $210, used a $25 off coupon I had and then sold off the vault, coin and lenses I didn't want for $85...this lowered the frame cost to $100 and helped finance a new set of aftermarket lenses and rubber I wanted so when someone at retail would pay $375 and then $100 for extra lenses for $475 total, I spent $200 in the end. Incoming set of Romeos with all packaging and good lenses I got for $375 from Germany I won't need the lenses on so I'll sell them for probably $50 or so and the custom cuts I'm putting in I got in a trade so $325 for a mint R1 with customs is a great price).

Now have I spent cash not offset by sales, trades etc? Yes, but my collection 14 pairs is worth an amount in the open market I didn't spend anything near by being careful and have never paid over 75% of retail for any pieces except my Romeos which is a given now.

Is collecting $100, $150 much less $250, $400 pairs of glasses a prudent move for some? No. It wouldn't be prudent for me if I didn't have other items of value to sell, trade etc and wasn't working 80+ hours of OT a month as I have been most of the last 2 years. But as you can see, for those of us who have some discretionary funds, we can collect maybe more than you would think by using some of the methods discussed

I just work a lot and hunt the deals. I spend a lot of money on all kinds of things. Just gotta make more than you spend.

Back