• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How many Oakley X-Metals were produced?

Was discussing this with someone recently, and was curious if anyone knows how many total X-Metals were produced? Not talking about frames/color combos etc. but actual pairs (i.e 1 Million). Obviously this is known for some limited editions, especially when they are serialized, but I wasn't sure if there is any ballpark overall.
Good/Interesting question!

Yes, super interesting question. And I think we can derive a pretty good estimate of the minimum number of serialized X-Metals produced through crowd-sourcing...
Taking it after the master of all lists in this forum, @cacatman, we can fill a table of all X-Metal serial number patterns, entering the highest S/N for each pattern and adding them up. This will result in the minimum number of serialized pairs produced. I started this list by taking the highest serial numbers from the Serial Registry .

Assumptions:
  • Serial counter starts over, when moving from one generation to the next (suffix A to B to ...). That seems to be the case for all models, except for Juliet Plasma / Emerald I am not 100% sure. Because serials are arranged: no suffix, A, B. So I didn't count no suffix, A & B separately. Of course, this can be coincidence and I don't see why Oakley should have broken their numbering pattern just for this one model. If you have seen a serial that breaks the pattern on o-review, I'll correct the table accordingly. (That would also mean there are a ton of Juliet Plasma / Emerald out there, which at least I haven't seen, but ok)
  • The highest serial for Juliet Plasma / Fire 1st Gen P1028498 is one order of magnitude higher than the one before it. I am omitting that serial as a typo.
  • The highest serial for Penny Titanium / Ice PI427033 is one order of magnitude higher than the one before it. I am omitting that serial as a typo.

Results thus far :
  • Romeo total sum: 168,930
  • Mars total sum: 50,758
  • Juliet total sum: 1,339,104
  • Penny total sum: 146,556
  • XX total sum: 317,319
  • X-Squared 24k: 750
  • ==> Minimum number of all serialized X-Metals 2,023,417
@all: Please, help me precise this estimate by letting me know if you've seen a higher serial for any of these models than I've listed in the table.

PS: People where stating on whether or not they've seen X-Metals in the wild. As for Hamburg: back in the golden days of X-Metals in the early 2000s I've seen them rather frequently. Actually, surprisingly often considering their price. Mostly Juliet Plasma / Fire or Ice. This observation is in-line with the ridiculously high serials for these models.
Fast forward to present day: This summer I saw one guy wearing a Juliet on the subway. But that's the only time I've seen one out there for many years.

PPS: If someone could hit me up with only one of those 50,000 Mars' out there for a good price, I'd highly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Yes, super interesting question. And I think we can derive a pretty good estimate of the minimum number of serialized X-Metals produced through crowd-sourcing...
Taking it after the master of all lists in this forum, @cacatman, we can fill a table of all X-Metal serial number patterns, entering the highest S/N for each pattern and adding them up. This will result in the minimum number of serialized pairs produced. I started this list by taking the highest serial numbers from the Serial Registry .

Assumptions:
  • Serial counter starts over, when moving from one generation to the next (suffix A to B to ...). That seems to be the case for all models, except for Juliet Plasma / Emerald I am not 100% sure. Because serials are arranged: no suffix, A, B. So I didn't count no suffix, A & B separately. Of course, this can be coincidence and I don't see why Oakley should have broken their numbering pattern just for this one model. If you have seen a serial that breaks the pattern on o-review, I'll correct the table accordingly. (That would also mean there are a ton of Juliet Plasma / Emerald out there, which at least I haven't seen, but ok)
  • The highest serial for Juliet Plasma / Fire 1st Gen P1028498 is one order of magnitude higher than the one before it. I am omitting that serial as a typo.
  • The highest serial for Penny Titanium / Ice PI427033 is one order of magnitude higher than the one before it. I am omitting that serial as a typo.

Results thus far :
  • Romeo total sum: 168,930
  • Mars total sum: 50,758
  • Juliet total sum: 1,339,104
  • Penny total sum: 146,556
  • XX total sum: 317,319
  • X-Squared 24k: 750
  • ==> Minimum number of all serialized X-Metals 2,023,417
@all: Please, help me precise this estimate by letting me know if you've seen a higher serial for any of these models than I've listed in the table.

PS: People where stating on whether or not they've seen X-Metals in the wild. As for Hamburg: back in the golden days of X-Metals in the early 2000s I've seen them rather frequently. Actually, surprisingly often considering their price. Mostly Juliet Plasma / Fire or Ice. This observation is in-line with the ridiculously high serials for these models.
Fast forward to present day: This summer I saw one guy wearing a Juliet on the subway. But that's the only time I've seen one out there for many years.

PPS: If someone could hit me up with only one of those 50,000 Mars' out there for a good price, I'd highly appreciate it.
Honoured to be mentioned in this post, @andr3!

Some here may dispute that every serial number was equal to an actual pair in order, as I think some numbers appeared to be randomly allocated unless they were limited editions.

Mh, interesting. How do we know serials weren't sequential but random? (reference?)
Should be a bummer for all those chasing low serials. ;)

Honoured to be mentioned in this post, @andr3!

Some here may dispute that every serial number was equal to an actual pair in order, as I think some numbers appeared to be randomly allocated unless they were limited editions.

Ya this is total mularky and a highly uneducated assumption.

Ita likely that there is NOT a pair for every serial of the highly produced runs. When a pair was forged and was not up to standards it was likely melted back down and turned into another pair. This would of been more common in the earlier pairs before the process was "perfected"

Mh, interesting. How do we know serials weren't sequential but random? (reference?)
Should be a bummer for all those chasing low serials. ;)
It's still kind of cool to get a low serial number from a numeric point of view, regardless of whether it was random or not. Even if it could be proven that serial #017532 was the first one produced, I'd still prefer #000001!!

Ya this is total mularky and a highly uneducated assumption.

Ita likely that there is NOT a pair for every serial of the highly produced runs. When a pair was forged and was not up to standards it was likely melted back down and turned into another pair. This would of been more common in the earlier pairs before the process was "perfected"
Thanks for the probable counter argument.

Anyhow, just because you're not Almighty God and occasionally get things wrong @andr3, don't let that stop you from trying to provide some interesting theories or opinions or facts for this community. I know I don't!! There will always be more people who appreciate what you're trying to do, than those who don't.

We all know its way easier to shoot people down than to build them up.

Thanks for the probable counter argument.

Anyhow, just because you're not Almighty God and occasionally get things wrong @andr3, don't let that stop you from trying to provide some interesting theories or opinions or facts for this community. I know I don't!! There will always be more people who appreciate what you're trying to do, than those who don't.

We all know its way easier to shoot people down than to build them up.

Im not shooting anyone down, there are some old threads on here where some highly experienced collectors state that improbability of every serial in sequence being assigned to an actual pair.

Now some noobie pops up without an inth of the knowledge those people have and makes a libelous and likely false claim and you cite it in your list as being probable?

Youre making OF worse again

Im not shooting anyone down, there are some old threads on here where some highly experienced collectors state that improbability of every serial in sequence being assigned to an actual pair.

Now some noobie pops up without an inth of the knowledge those people have and makes a libelous and likely false claim and you cite it in your list as being probable?

Youre making OF worse again
I'm the one making OF worse again?

LOL.

Last edited:
Serial numbers on X-metals are sequential. Oakley has stated as such. Even publicly. Dann got the 12th pair (or maybe 13th) of Ducati Juliets, and Oakley said it was the the twelfth pair meant for a Ducati sponsored rider during Co-Pilot.

The estimates are super low. Plus Oakley made a lot of these just to give away to friends and athletes of the Brand (most of them with them just took s serial pair and slapped a signature etched lenses in)

Last edited:
Back