• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

how much does a scratched crystal affect value?

saltparrot

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
La La Land
long story short, a dbag jeweler scratched the crystal on my copper mm. he's hemming and hawing saying no way he could have done it, but has agreed to try to fix it (obvi knows he effed up and hoped I wouldn't notice). he says he can't cut new crystal for it and has been pinging his watch circles trying to find a replacement crystal but hasn't had any luck. he seems reluctant to buy an mm off the bay and swap it out for some reason.

long story short, it's not that visible and doesn't really affect performance. that said, I know it's there, and it drives me nuts to the point that I'm thinking of selling it and getting a new one that's not scratched and just having him reimburse me the difference. how much does a tiny, almost imperceptible little scratch impact the watch's value?

I would make him give you $100-$150 bucks for damaging it and then just sell the watch and buy another one. That might be the easiest thing to do.

long story short, a dbag jeweler scratched the crystal on my copper mm. he's hemming and hawing saying no way he could have done it, but has agreed to try to fix it (obvi knows he effed up and hoped I wouldn't notice). he says he can't cut new crystal for it and has been pinging his watch circles trying to find a replacement crystal but hasn't had any luck. he seems reluctant to buy an mm off the bay and swap it out for some reason.

long story short, it's not that visible and doesn't really affect performance. that said, I know it's there, and it drives me nuts to the point that I'm thinking of selling it and getting a new one that's not scratched and just having him reimburse me the difference. how much does a tiny, almost imperceptible little scratch impact the watch's value?

Try using some toothpaste on the scrath : it's a fine abrasive which may smooth out the scrath to the point of practicaly invisibille.

Try using some toothpaste on the scrath : it's a fine abrasive which may smooth out the scrath to the point of practicaly invisibille.

I'll give it a try, though he claimed it couldn't be polished out. Though he also claims he can't see the scratch with his loop which is freaking bonkers given that I can see it with the naked eye (barely) and feel it with my finger (barely)

I'll give it a try, though he claimed it couldn't be polished out. Though he also claims he can't see the scratch with his loop which is freaking bonkers given that I can see it with the naked eye (barely) and feel it with my finger (barely)

Don't...if you ruin it further, it gives him a get out of jail free card. Either way though, you won't be able to polish it out with toothpaste, as sapphire crystal registers at a level 9 on MOHS's scale. You'd need a buffing compound with at least a MOHS hardness of 8 and even then, by polishing a sapphire crystal you will weaken it and it still won't ever be the same.

Right, MM has a lab grown sapphire crystal and you're not going to repair it. An almost imperceptible scratch will have less impact on value but any scratch on the crystal is going to hurt value much more than scratches on the band or case.

Well salty, you can give it a go, if it works, then be happy. It's hardly going to leave you out of pocket, trying this method(bearing in mind repeated application of toothpaste and lint free very soft cloth (probably best to use microfibre one, or microclear should you desire))

Back