• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

how much does a scratched crystal affect value?

If it's a MOHS hardness of 5...that's a pretty damn abrasive toothpaste! Going on the teeth too...

I can't speak to the toothpaste method other than giving it a minty fresh aroma. I do have a friend who used a diamond paste to polish a TB crystal. Unfortunately he went too fast and it cracked from the heat. But others have have better success.

I had one of my previous MM with minor scratches. I sent it to one of my friend that now resides in New Jersey. He did some minor buffing and was successful in removing most of the scratch that are a bit far from the casing. He did not try those adjacent to the case to avoid damaging/scratching it. he did a wonderful job.

Well I mentioned a diamond paste; though I haven't tried it technically that stuff could polish out a sapphire crystal but it wouldn't be easy.

Well I mentioned a diamond paste; though I haven't tried it technically that stuff could polish out a sapphire crystal but it wouldn't be easy.

It also has a good chance at cracking the sapphire which is why most watch makers won't touch it. If it doesn't crack the sapphire, it will most definitely weaken it. No watch maker wants to be held liable when that crystal takes a light knock and shatters, ruining the dial in the process.

I’ll be damned. Oakley has some crystal. Gonna have it sent off and have the jeweler pay for it.

That’s great news. How much are they charging if you don’t mind me asking?
I was also considering using this site from one of the threads I found when researching crystal replacement for a Timebomb but haven’t done it yet. I’m assuming they can handle a MM Crystal as well.

Crystal Fit USA: Crystals For Your Watch

That’s great news. How much are they charging if you don’t mind me asking?
I was also considering using this site from one of the threads I found when researching crystal replacement for a Timebomb but haven’t done it yet. I’m assuming they can handle a MM Crystal as well.

Crystal Fit USA: Crystals For Your Watch

I actually don’t know. I’ve given the info to the jeweler and told him to get it done ASAP. I’ll ask how much they charged once it’s done and circle back.

Back