• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I'm starting to think...

Radar, Jawbone, Split Jacket, Radarlock, Fast Jacket. It's not all bad it's just that Fogskin & Holbrook seam to have taken over but then again they are what sell so it's going to be difficult to stop those. We all, well i'm sure most of us, hanker for the days of the Romeo, Juliet, OTT, Plate & Zero lines but unfortunetly they are behind us now & classed as, & rightly so, VINTAGE. We still have the option of tracking down those as well as the new products. With inovation comes change & so whether we like it or not we cannot stop it.

I'm starting to think that you guys are being extremely tough on Oakley lately. Granted, I do hate the most recent styles and there has been a small lack of innovation lately, but what do you expect after seeing some of the best things made 10+ years ago? I easily think 2005-2009 had worse releases then there are now. And there is an over saturation of some things but things now are better then they were not too long ago.

I have to say i totally disagree. Never have I seen such pure crap come out of Oakley in the past 20 years. They see something that sells and cram it down your throat. Every collection has either a Holbrook or Frogskin. The EP2 was ok, but the original was better, the big taco is ok with no true innovation and the garage rock, in my opinion, is simply the absolute worst release ever by this company. I like the batwolf but its simply a weak of the fuel cell, which was truly just a tweak of the gascan. Innoation is what set oakley apart in the 80s and 90s and there truly is NONE right now. The jupiter factory light is terrible in my opinion also. Lets take something, put cf on the earstems and treat it as NEW.

I would be okay with all these run of the mill releases if it help funded the cutting edge stuff. But unfortunately it doesn't seem the case now that the X-Metal aspect is gone as well as the Elite. Hopefully Oakley is coming up with a new thing that will completely blow us away but as it stands, it sucks that every new release seems like a rehash of something old and bland.

I want to see actual, sculptural art again, with cutting edge design. not some CF and aluminium thing that yes, is "cool" for the materials and "clever" design but looks like i could cut it out of cardboard pretty easily.

sculpted completely CF frames. , or titanium Liquidmetal.. something fresh, different... and truly a sculpture. I mean, think about how you felt when you saw the first Xmetal, or admired the construction of a Splice, or even when you first saw an Mframe or a radar work so seamlessly with the interchangeability.

Yes switchlock has been good but not without flaws (radarlock is abit flimsy, Fast Jacket is heavy, and the only good ones (Jawbone and Splitjacket) dont suit me...).

so okay, good job on the Switchlock. but lifestyle range has gone down the toilet since the whole "Frogskin" fad blew up with all the hipsters.

Is everyone forgetting about Artist Series?? Everyone on here has a big hard on for the stuff (myself included) and those are all since the "glory days". And all the collab stuff which didn't really exist before. Back in the day people got all stoked for their Crystal Black SGH Unknown exclusive.

Oh, and CUSTOM!!!!

I know where everyone's coming from, but I find it nice to be able to pick from a bunch of frames that you'll like and probably be able to get something that you don't see everyday. I know everyone loves Medusa, OTT, Subzero, Mars, etc - but none of those are pieces that people actually wore (sorry Qtrain)... the exact reason they're collectable.

Everyone gets lost in the really off-side stuff and forget about how much awesome stuff there is right now.

And I think stuff like C-Six and Factory Lite are a little window into the future.

Just my 18 cents.

I want to see actual, sculptural art again, with cutting edge design. not some CF and aluminium thing that yes, is "cool" for the materials and "clever" design but looks like i could cut it out of cardboard pretty easily.

sculpted completely CF frames. , or titanium Liquidmetal.. something fresh, different... and truly a sculpture. I mean, think about how you felt when you saw the first Xmetal, or admired the construction of a Splice, or even when you first saw an Mframe or a radar work so seamlessly with the interchangeability.

Yes switchlock has been good but not without flaws (radarlock is abit flimsy, Fast Jacket is heavy, and the only good ones (Jawbone and Splitjacket) dont suit me...).

so okay, good job on the Switchlock. but lifestyle range has gone down the toilet since the whole "Frogskin" fad blew up with all the hipsters.

What he said. :)

. I know everyone loves Medusa, OTT, Subzero, Mars, etc - but none of those are pieces that people actually wore (sorry Qtrain)... the exact reason they're collectable.

Why sorry to me?

I agree with you. It was the outlandish style that make Oakley popular, but that was never they're moneymaker. You also have to consider that at the end of the day, they're running a business. People always seem to forget that.

Latest Posts

Back