• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New version of Flak

OmarJ

Oakley Beginner
I was in an Oakley store yesterday and they had two new versions of the Flak on display. Of course I can not for the life of me remember the names at the moment. Both of them were Flak 'something'...

The first one appeared to have a lens size/shape that falls somewhat between the Flak 2.0 standard and XL frames although the edges were more 'aggressive' and styled (I actually liked the design). That one also had a 'switch' type mechanism for removing the lenses which I, personally, found annoying and unnecessary. I asked the sales person about them and if they had XL lenses for them (since the stock lenses were a little small for me) and was told they only came with the one lens style.

The second one seems similar in lens style but had no earsocks on the temples using 'springy' arms to do all the gripping. I did not ask about lenses for these and when I tried to pop the lenses out they did not seem to want to come out in the usual manner for a Flak.

Anyway, when I got home I checked online and can't find the, anywhere. Anyone else seen these and if so what do you think?

Cheers

Saw them today at my O store. One was called the Draft, and I don't remember the other one. I thought they were really cool. I liked the look of them, and both have the switch mechanism if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I see the names I think I remember which was which. I thought that the Draft had the switch. I didn't see the switch on the Beta. I could easily have missed it. And yes, they both look cool but the lenses are not deep enough for me. More's the pity. Might have bought one otherwise.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Cool but short lenses, especially on the beta. Overall, derivative instead of revolutionary. All of the new releases this round were underwhelming. Still waiting for some lingering echos of the Jim Jannard magic.

Maybe because they need to 'pass' for daily use at a Police/Military point of view?
hmm.....
I don´t think so, a police officer could easily have a pair of sunglasses on with plenty of blue in it, i don't think it violates any rules.
And a soldier would not even dream of wearing glasses with anything purple in it...not in a combat situation at least.
Also, i think those glasses are more for the folks why want to show their support, and ironically, you can´t see the support without that magnifying glass

i don't think it violates any rules.

Methinks you may not know ALL Police departments rules/policy...

I know some that DO have this rule and I know of others who don't give a F about it...

And we also looked into this a few weeks ago with @SirRossi, I believe, when it comes to military (USAF to be precise). Something along the lines of 'subtle, non trendy etc...'.

These newer (less showy) pairs should fit the part for military usage...

For the last comment, maybe it's a regional/cultural thing, but in my experience, the biggest supporters of law enforcement and the military ARE law enforcement AND the military. So to make a frame they can wear on the job AND show support to their cause is a win win to me...

But I'll also agree with your train of thought and saw that I would be cool to have some 'flashier' pairs... but practicality come first sometimes!

Latest Posts

Back