• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Jawbreaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any pics of upcoming Jawbreaker and Radar EV colourways? Mark Cavendish seems to have changed from the Jawbreaker to a Radar EV which got me thinking that there would be new colours coming soon.

Any pics of upcoming Jawbreaker and Radar EV colourways? Mark Cavendish seems to have changed from the Jawbreaker to a Radar EV which got me thinking that there would be new colours coming soon.

I know he switched to Data Dimension/Cervelo, so maybe he's gettin a new team color, or simply getting setup with an annual refresh of his edition.

It'd be awesome if he got a British Racing Green colorway again. I felt like the last two iterations were half-assed. I only bought the Jawbreaker because that was the fastest I could have the pair period (and the bag is kinda cool).

I know he switched to Data Dimension/Cervelo, so maybe he's gettin a new team color, or simply getting setup with an annual refresh of his edition.

At the TDU most of his new team were wearing his Jawbreakers. But Cav arrived in Melbourne the other day and wore what looked like a standard black Radar EV with a jade lens.

Got me thinking that Oakley want awareness of a new Cav edition soon so he is getting used to the frame. At the TDU, it seemed about a 30/70 split between the Jawbreaker and Radar EV so maybe the Jawbreaker isn't selling as well as Oakley would like (I personally love it) but they don't yet have a headline sponsored rider wearing the EV. Most shops in AUS had the Cav Jawbreaker discounted over the Xmas break and at an Oakley event I went to, they didn't showcase his model, just a standard white/black/red PRIZM model (about 50 of them!) although the one they gave away was a Cav.

At the TDU most of his new team were wearing his Jawbreakers. But Cav arrived in Melbourne the other day and wore what looked like a standard black Radar EV with a jade lens.

Got me thinking that Oakley want awareness of a new Cav edition soon so he is getting used to the frame. At the TDU, it seemed about a 30/70 split between the Jawbreaker and Radar EV so maybe the Jawbreaker isn't selling as well as Oakley would like (I personally love it) but they don't yet have a headline sponsored rider wearing the EV. Most shops in AUS had the Cav Jawbreaker discounted over the Xmas break and at an Oakley event I went to, they didn't showcase his model, just a standard white/black/red PRIZM model (about 50 of them!) although the one they gave away was a Cav.

I don't think it should surprise anyone that the EV would sell better. Factor in price and familiarity of the design — not to mention across a wider range of disciplines the Jawbreaker was never advertised for — and you get a lopsided outcome. I bought an EV just to see how to panned out compared to the Radarlock, and it's a great pair, but it's hardly in my rotation. It can easily sell itself and Oakley hardly needs it headlined. I wouldn't rule out a limited or athlete edition EV altogether, because that has yet to happen beyond SGH exclusives (which aren't so much of "exclusive" outside the US).

As for your observation about the Cav Jawbreaker value, it didn't drop price in the US because we had Oakley's F&F to apply to almost anything during holiday season. Only reason why it would start losing value is because it could be replaced by a newer edition and/or the fact it's the "oldest" Jawbreaker colorway.

I don't think it should surprise anyone that the EV would sell better. Factor in price and familiarity of the design — not to mention across a wider range of disciplines the Jawbreaker was never advertised for — and you get a lopsided outcome. I bought an EV just to see how to panned out compared to the Radarlock, and it's a great pair, but it's hardly in my rotation. It can easily sell itself and Oakley hardly needs it headlined. I wouldn't rule out a limited or athlete edition EV altogether, because that has yet to happen beyond SGH exclusives (which aren't so much of "exclusive" outside the US).

As for your observation about the Cav Jawbreaker value, it didn't drop price in the US because we had Oakley's F&F to apply to almost anything during holiday season. Only reason why it would start losing value is because it could be replaced by a newer edition and/or the fact it's the "oldest" Jawbreaker colorway.
I'm betting on a Radar EV as the headline for the Olympic models, as you said it crosses the most disciplines, especially among the sponsored athletes most likely to wear their glasses.

Silver frame + Prizm Trail added. Gonna have to camp and wait for sale+F&F unless I see the frame separate on the bay or exchange.

Black/grey + Photochromic also added

Some of the polarized Jawbreakers have been reduced in price (from $260 to $230)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back