• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Type O program - *update* now shutting down

I just found out about this program and joined. Anyone know if I can credit some recent purchases before I joined the Type O Program? Or does my purchases have to be after I joined so they can be credited?

If you email them the receipts they should add them. Don't know how far back they'll go.

At least they were doing that earlier, maybe the policy has changed since then. Can't hurt to try...

Has anyone else had issues with Type O lately?

Made a purchase on vault.com on 6/5, had to email them to have the points added on 6/16. Confirmation email came in today that the points were added, and that point total was LESS than it was prior to purchase.

Made an in-store vault purchase 6/14, again had to email on 6/16. Customer service said they heard nothing of the double points (it's on the Type O page--had to send a picture of the webpage).

Waaaa, almost like too much hassle to even bother with....and yes my email is the same at Oakley.com, Oakleyvault.com, typeO.com, etc, etc.

My ongoing saga with Type O has resulted in yet another email (sent to O Customer Care and Type O), not very happy that my Type O rep ignored my last email on 6/19:

Good Morning Oakley,

I am a devoted Oakley follower and collector. I am also an Oakley "Type O" Member, you will find my account under TXXXXXXX@YXXXX.com. As my account stands today, my "buy" point total is 492 points which is incorrect.

June was a very busy month for me in terms of buying Oakley products, I made several purchases. On June 1st, my account stood at 316 "buy" points on my Type O account. I made a oakleyvault.com purchase on Jun 3 (Order # H00008413304) which was for $28.XX (I assume you round the points down to the nearest dollar) so my point total from that purchase was 28. I also made a purchase in store at Oakley Vault # 047 (Wrentham, MA) on 6/14/2015 for $189.79, my receipt is attached in JPEG, however the receipt # is 217489. Also attached you will find a screen shot of my Oakley "Type O" account detailing that any purchases made during this time period at an Oakley Vault would qualify for double points, which your people have seemed to first dispute, and then second ignore. My point total from that purchase should have been 189 points (single points) or more rightfully 378 points (double points). I also registered the pair of sunglasses that I bought during that visit on oakley.com (40 points).

So..I am not the best mathematician in this world, but my quick addition tells me that my point total should be 762. Here is how I came to that number (316 Starting Points 6/1 + 28 6/3 Purchase + 378 6/14 Purchase + 40 product registration) = 762.

I would consider myself a valued and loyal Oakley follower/collector, I have over 50 pairs of Oakley sunglasses in my current collection, I'm sure I have purchased over 100 pairs in my short lifetime (I'm 29). Add the clothes, accessories, and everything else I have purchased and I would come to the conclusion that I am someone you'd like to keep happy (and keep purchasing)....at least I would personally come to that conclusion.

So, Oakley creates the Oakley Type O program to reward customers like me. This is great in theory, very very poor in execution. If my experience above isn't enough evidence to support my claim, how about the satisfaction that was delivered to me by your associate "Taylor" below? Taylor obviously felt that my purchase (and my loyalty) obviously didn't warrant a response as I have yet to receive one since my last email on 6/19 disputing the points above. Moreover, Taylor clearly wasn't aware that the double points offer was extended to members such as myself on your website (you posted it!), and now are telling me I am ineligible. I am a dedicated forum member on oakleyforum.com in which there is a thread about the Oakley Type O program (where I plan to post a copy of this letter..by the way), in which some members received a welcome kit from Oakley welcoming them to the type O membership, while others did not. While there is a picture of such kit on oakleyforum.com, Kati below states that such a kit does not exist...hmmm. Also, although my registered email address is the same at every single site owned/associated by Oakley, I still have to email the Type O department each and every time I make a purchase to plead my case, and have my points added. Why create a program to reward loyal customers such as myself if it is directed and operated in this way? You are better off saving me the hassle of not having one.

While I can't sit here and tell you that I will never buy from Oakley again (that would be a lie), I think I am going to sit back and enjoy the products that I have currently and take a break from purchasing anything new. You see, I am the type to buy your latest and greatest products, many times putting my wants over needs, etc...case in point paying over $700 for a pair of Studio Concept 1 off Frogskins. While I am certainly far from your biggest customer, I am one thing that you should value.....loyal, and you have given me reason to question why I am so loyal to you.

Sincerely,
Theodore "Ted/Teddy" Walters
Type O Member: TXXXXXXX@YXXXX.com

My ongoing saga with Type O has resulted in yet another email (sent to O Customer Care and Type O), not very happy that my Type O rep ignored my last email on 6/19:

Good Morning Oakley,

I am a devoted Oakley follower and collector. I am also an Oakley "Type O" Member, you will find my account under TXXXXXXX@YXXXX.com. As my account stands today, my "buy" point total is 492 points which is incorrect.

June was a very busy month for me in terms of buying Oakley products, I made several purchases. On June 1st, my account stood at 316 "buy" points on my Type O account. I made a oakleyvault.com purchase on Jun 3 (Order # H00008413304) which was for $28.XX (I assume you round the points down to the nearest dollar) so my point total from that purchase was 28. I also made a purchase in store at Oakley Vault # 047 (Wrentham, MA) on 6/14/2015 for $189.79, my receipt is attached in JPEG, however the receipt # is 217489. Also attached you will find a screen shot of my Oakley "Type O" account detailing that any purchases made during this time period at an Oakley Vault would qualify for double points, which your people have seemed to first dispute, and then second ignore. My point total from that purchase should have been 189 points (single points) or more rightfully 378 points (double points). I also registered the pair of sunglasses that I bought during that visit on oakley.com (40 points).

So..I am not the best mathematician in this world, but my quick addition tells me that my point total should be 762. Here is how I came to that number (316 Starting Points 6/1 + 28 6/3 Purchase + 378 6/14 Purchase + 40 product registration) = 762.

I would consider myself a valued and loyal Oakley follower/collector, I have over 50 pairs of Oakley sunglasses in my current collection, I'm sure I have purchased over 100 pairs in my short lifetime (I'm 29). Add the clothes, accessories, and everything else I have purchased and I would come to the conclusion that I am someone you'd like to keep happy (and keep purchasing)....at least I would personally come to that conclusion.

So, Oakley creates the Oakley Type O program to reward customers like me. This is great in theory, very very poor in execution. If my experience above isn't enough evidence to support my claim, how about the satisfaction that was delivered to me by your associate "Taylor" below? Taylor obviously felt that my purchase (and my loyalty) obviously didn't warrant a response as I have yet to receive one since my last email on 6/19 disputing the points above. Moreover, Taylor clearly wasn't aware that the double points offer was extended to members such as myself on your website (you posted it!), and now are telling me I am ineligible. I am a dedicated forum member on oakleyforum.com in which there is a thread about the Oakley Type O program (where I plan to post a copy of this letter..by the way), in which some members received a welcome kit from Oakley welcoming them to the type O membership, while others did not. While there is a picture of such kit on oakleyforum.com, Kati below states that such a kit does not exist...hmmm. Also, although my registered email address is the same at every single site owned/associated by Oakley, I still have to email the Type O department each and every time I make a purchase to plead my case, and have my points added. Why create a program to reward loyal customers such as myself if it is directed and operated in this way? You are better off saving me the hassle of not having one.

While I can't sit here and tell you that I will never buy from Oakley again (that would be a lie), I think I am going to sit back and enjoy the products that I have currently and take a break from purchasing anything new. You see, I am the type to buy your latest and greatest products, many times putting my wants over needs, etc...case in point paying over $700 for a pair of Studio Concept 1 off Frogskins. While I am certainly far from your biggest customer, I am one thing that you should value.....loyal, and you have given me reason to question why I am so loyal to you.

Sincerely,
Theodore "Ted/Teddy" Walters
Type O Member: TXXXXXXX@YXXXX.com

"Taylor's" email on 6/19, and my immediate response (TO WHICH I NEVER REC'D A RESPONSE):
Hello Teddy,

Thank you for your reply to Kati's email. My name is Taylor and will be assisting you further. After doing some research, it looks like your purchase was not part of the double points offer. It was only in select stores and the store you went to was not part of it.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best regards,

Taylor

OAKLEY, INC.
1-800-403-7449
WWW.OAKLEY.COM

My return email:
Taylor,
I am sorry, but that is unacceptable. On your Type O website under 'unlocked rewards' it says that I will earn double points at ANY oakley or oakley vault store between 6/14 and 6/21. My purchase was made on 6/14 and my account should be credited to reflect this.
I have attached a picture of the website as it stands today.

I think a little perspective may be in order...

Obviously it's best when things work like they're supposed to, and responses are appropriate, but we all know this isn't a perfect world; **** happens.

Realize this is a loyalty program that was first launched in a limited-area Beta just eight months ago. Kinks are apparently still being ironed out. But the key point is it's just a loyalty program - your purchases earn points which unlock rewards. The points have no value - you can't trade them in for anything, they don't earn you any discounts. And the rewards unlocked so far have been pretty sparse, all things considered.

Look at the other Oakley problems people have been having lately - inconsistent stocking/backordered info, cancelled orders, inability to complete transactions, messed up F&F codes. And then there's the whole shady 60% coupon fiasco, and the fallout since...

IMO those are the sort of things worth priority - they affect one's access to product and the price paid for it; it impacts your wallet. This loyalty program does not.

"Type O" didn't even exist this time last year. I'm thankful they're even doing a loyalty program at all; they don't have to. But overall it's really been more like a game, how many points can you collect. The only tangible, physical benefits I've received are a free cleaning kit and a print which, though cool, is nowhere as cool as the limited ones they sold last year, and comes in a non-standard size which can cost a pretty penny to frame...

Really, though I always follow up to ensure my points are updated appropriately, I don't let the lack of a timely response bother me. This really isn't worth it to me to get all worked up about; picking my battles, there are other more important things about which to make a stand...

Back