• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

- Opinion On These Ruby Lenses ...

That I do know (XS is the newest of the X-M's) ...

... & from what I had learned, the Ruby's became very "unreliable", etc., as time went on.

Was there a time that even some of the first X-Metal/Ruby's (2009) had semi-decent Rubes in them, or do the 1st gen Juliet, Penny, etc., just really, really stand apart from anything they ever did for a XS?

I believe the "Fruby" became the norm before the XS ever existed - we're talking several years before the XS came along that the much sought after early Rubies were being made. However, there is lots of variation and inconsistency within the different batches of lenses, so you can still find a gem from time to time. My personal experience with XS Ruby is that having larger lenses than the other X-metals mentioned here, they do have the tendency to have a lot of the fire (oranges and yellows) toward the edges where it otherwise might be cut out of a smaller lens...

I am fully aware of the "different generations", etc., when it comes to lenses, especially, & most importantly for this convo, the Ruby lens.

I have gotten nearly a handful of PMs, e-Mails, etc., from folks saying they look great, ... & I fully understand that can only be an opinion of someone looking on their screen with its particular adjustments, etc., plus I have gotten great info from folks telling me, including here, that this Seller is a good guy - So I am good to go, & we will see. I feel fine, but I will ask a question, & maybe someone has a ssolid answer, & why, or maybe not ...

Is there any chance these could be some "first gen" goodness? Or is it somewhat safe to assume if they were, they would be worth more that eighty beans?

@kronin323
@Manish
@Dieseltech
@xmetalmaniac

I feel these are the best stock RED "RUBY"s I have seen lately that are available for purchase.
I, these days tend towards the OO red or the positive red lens as I feel they are the next best to satify by liking for "Red Rubys"...

I am fully aware of the "different generations", etc., when it comes to lenses, especially, & most importantly for this convo, the Ruby lens.
There aren't really clear-cut generations for lenses in the way there is for frames (even for frames there is some variation).

There has always been variation between batches. Older rubies were more reliably red than they are now, but there are still batches that were better than others (and, by definition, others that were worse).

Sometimes you get lucky, other times not so much. Buying in person at a Vault, say, helps if you can open them and choose the best. Buying sight unseen is more pot luck.

They look very nice from the pictures. I think you got them for a good price and should be able to sell them if you aren't happy with them. I'm no expert but they look much darker then most Rubys I have seen on modern lenses. Good luck I hope they turn out great!

There aren't really clear-cut generations for lenses in the way there is for frames

Exactly - for the greater audience, that's what I meant when I called 1st gen lenses "so-called". Frames were released with some specific generation markers. But not so with lenses - they just evolved over time. What people refer to as 1st gen lenses are really just the lenses that came with 1st gen frames. But not all x-metal frames were released at the same time, so (let's say) a 1st gen R2 came out years later than a 1st get Juliet. So calling lenses "1st gen" isn't apples to apples across all frames.

Bottom line is what Carrera1963 said - there's always variations among lenses, with some colors more than others, and your best bet is to check them out firsthand.

Bottom line is what Carrera1963 said - there's always variations among lenses, with some colors more than others, and your best bet is to check them out firsthand.
+1

Back