• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Recommendations For Next Frame For Clear Prescription Lens

alphie

Oakley Beginner
A few years ago, when I found out I wasn't a candidate for Lasik, I bought a pair of HiJinx with Oakley prescription lenses. I found my vision was much sharper than with my normal glasses. I think this may be because the eye-to-lens distance is so critical with astigmatism, and the machines in-store are not capable of making lenses that work well off-axis. It looked to me that the Oakley frames made for normal glasses seemed like a completely different company, so the next time I renewed my prescription, I decided to look into getting Oakley sunglasses with clear lenses. I ended up getting a pair of Crosshair 2.0 lead frames, along with a pair of black Fuel Cells with Light Grey lenses. The vision was a good as I hoped, and I've now worn the Crosshairs every day for the past two years.

The time has come for me to update my prescription, so I'm looking around for what I'm going to get next. I don't know of any store near me that has the full range on display, so I need to have a fairly good idea what I want before I go. It's worth mentioning that I have a very large head and need a wide frame to avoid the arms bending back. Since I've had the Crossfires, it's not that unusual for strangers to ask me about them. Although the tone has always been positive, I'm not really looking for a conversation starter here! I'm interested in opinions of suitable plastic styles (Frogskin, Jupiter, Garage Rock?) as well as metal.

As far as metal, the X-Squared seem to be optimal for people looking for wide frames. Have you looked at photochromatic at all? Some interesting options there.

As far as metal, the X-Squared seem to be optimal for people looking for wide frames.
X-Squared do look cool for sunglasses, but I think they might just be a bit too quirky for everyday use indoors, don't you think?

Have you looked at photochromatic at all? Some interesting options there.
I've never seen any photochromatic lens that can go completely clear (i.e. >90% transmission), and I'm not aware of anything close to that from Oakley. The moment Oakley come out with electronically-actuated tints, I'll be reaching for my credit card! Maybe it's just me, but I've always had the feeling that light tints when you're in indoors is not a good look!

In case it helps, here's a picture of my wearing Crosshair 2.0.

Glasses.jpg

If you are planning an RX lens I wouldnt use an xmetal frame. Wearing them all day and night would definitely be conversation starter. I wear RX frames to read and I looked for something very light weight. I wear xmetals all the time and RX lenses in them would be cumbersome weight wise all day and night. I say go with a wire frame, looks professional and makes a statement. I work with a guy who wears flak jackets with RX lenses and they look ridiculous and people seem to think they are safety glasses. Big bold frames just don't look good with clear lenses. Even transition lenses don't get dark enough to save the frame from stairs.

By the way those cross hairs kick ass with clear lenses!!!! N

As far as true prescription frames, I am a big fan of the Junkyard (acetate frame though :/) for everyday wear and the carbon plates (smaller lens size and ultra light) for reading. If you were able, I think it might be interesting to pull a Jupiter FL as a scrip pair as well. I really do like the look of those CH2.0 though.

I'm glad you guys like the CH2.0 look. Maybe this thread will convince someone to go the same way.

The Junkyard frames do look cool, but I wonder if I'd miss that base curve. As far as wire frames go, Blender and C-Wire look like contenders. On the O Matter side, I'm still interested in Jupiter and Garage Band.

Is there a chart of frame widths somewhere? Rx glasses always have a width quoted, often with choices, however I never see that figure on Oakley sunglasses frames.

I had a pair of blenders with professionally cut clear black photochromic. After 10 mins i forget i was wearing them and i wore them into the shower once without realizing. They are a really nice pair. I highly recoment them!

Im goimg with xs as my perscription choice. Just trying to get the funds for the checkup and lenses cut.

I had a pair of blenders with professionally cut clear black photochromic. After 10 mins i forget i was wearing them and i wore them into the shower once without realizing. They are a really nice pair. I highly recoment them!

Im goimg with xs as my perscription choice. Just trying to get the funds for the checkup and lenses cut.

Ohhh. That sounds nice

i have to say the crosshairs look real good would have never thought of doing that i personally wear the metal plate too i would def stay with metal frames i have some extrication ballistic mframes scripted i have worn them out a time or 2 and believe me it looks very very strange to have a pair of o matter people just think im wearing safety glasses all of the time i think the crosshairs rock though

Latest Posts

Back