1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Won an auction for a pair of M Frames. Pro frames, described as "maroon". Well on O-review there are several red-sounding colors that could pass for maroon. Crimson, a well-worn red, possibly blood, most don't have pictures so I figured there was a maroon-ish frame out there.

The title said GUC (good used condition) and the listing had this to say;

So I think fine, they got yanked on and cracked the frame, it happens, excellent condition means this Gen1 Hybrid lens can likely be saved and it's bronze, gold, or something similar from the description. Cool!

Fast forward 5 days and they arrive. Not only are they beyond terrible condition, they're FAKES. Stupid blurring ******* photos. I should have caught this.

Ok, no problem, let's send him a message on eBay, they're clearly fakes once I have them in hand.

Compose a nicely worded message to the effect of "hey man, so these are fake. They're also in piss poor shape, but more importantly they're obvious fakes when compared to pairs in my collection."

Except, you know, I used more college words and wrote like an adult to try and clearly explain what was up.

The response?
    Ok. So we're gonna go ahead and elevate this one. At least it's only $20 that's tied up.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

eBay: 3026110
    Rustpot: 0

3. Batwolf

Batwolf Double Team Premium Member

eBay sucks. I'd rather sell on the forums over eBay anyday.

Dallas O Hog likes this.
  4. Rustpot

quod erat demonstrandum

5. Rustpot

A good number of my pairs are from eBay. All of my NewFrogs, which I have several LNIB or VG. The bulk of my M Frames are also sourced there.

I think my problem is that I continually look for diamonds in the rough. I seek out auctions with poor listings, where the seller doesn't quite know what they have and I can score them for under what they'd normally go for.

In this case I was going to junk the frame anyway, maybe use it for display only, but I was seeking the Gen1 Hybrid lens. Quite possibly my favorite M Frame lens style, I only have 1 good example of. Described as excellent, arrived as utter ****. Deep scratches abound, plenty of scuffs, not one sq. mm is untouched. God dammit.

6. big bopper

big bopper Oakley Enthusiast

Caveat emptor seems more appropriate!

qtrain23 likes this.
  7. gimpy

gimpy Oakley Beginner

For new frames I'd rather pay a little over ebay prices and buy retail (online stores are always having sales anyways) for the piece of mind. I recently won a pair that I found out was fake after I had won from zooming in on the SKU. Luckily, the seller was a good sport and refunded my money. For vintage pairs though, ebay is the go-to.

8. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Like you said, its only twenty bucks. You played it smart. I know guys that have gotten severely burned on the bay.

9. Rustpot

Oh, I've been burned much worse. Mostly on condition discrepancy where the seller says they're gently used and have one small mark that they can't even get to photograph, bidding goes up north of $100. They show up looking like they were used by the loser in a hammer fight.

eBay has already refunded my money. Negative feedback time.

Edit:
    Feedback left -
    "Fake item, much worse condition than described, seller asked what my problem was"

OakleyGuru379 likes this.
  10. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Dude, when i read that part where you said they looked like they had been used by the loser in a hammer fight, i busted out laughing! Funny s**t!