• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stripped Penny hinge screw: Update

Did it work before, or did you get it this way? What changed?
Well, I don't really know. I got the pair used on CL, it was in rough shape. But the orbitals seemed to be ok. I removed lenses and rubbers to send off the the x man. Had the bridge tuned up and had it refinished in x metal. Got them back and now the screw doesn't seem long enough. The gap is huge too!

As far as a screw driver I am using a ratcheting driver I got from lowes that has a t6 bit. I have used it for 2 years now with no issue at all. It turns the screw fine, no slipping or anything, it just seems like the screw is to short, my guess is because the gap is to big. Can it be bent closer?

Well, I don't really know. I got the pair used on CL, it was in rough shape. But the orbitals seemed to be ok. I removed lenses and rubbers to send off the the x man. Had the bridge tuned up and had it refinished in x metal. Got them back and now the screw doesn't seem long enough. The gap is huge too!

As far as a screw driver I am using a ratcheting driver I got from lowes that has a t6 bit. I have used it for 2 years now with no issue at all. It turns the screw fine, no slipping or anything, it just seems like the screw is to short, my guess is because the gap is to big. Can it be bent closer?
Well if you can get the thread count on the screw, you can probably just pick up a slightly longer replacement screw at any hardware store make sure the thread count is correct though, because if its not, then all you'll do is make a horrible mess, that would only be remedied through a long redrilling/tapping process. And then you'd have two different sized screws in your glasses.

is the gap there with the lens uninstalled? maybe the lens needs a bit if trimming...?

I would check the lens first, its perhaps not allowing you to close the gap as desired. As for getting a longer screw, its not that simple, you'll be hard pressed to walk into a hardware store and get a T6 screw cap torx screw, never mind one that has the same thread and in a desired length.

Yeah, I don't think a longer screw is the answer; the question is whether the lens is preventing you from closing the orbital enough to catch the threads, or if the threading in the orbital in stripped.

I find it less likely that the threading's stripped, as that Ti should be tougher than the screw and it worked before (maybe). So first see if you can screw it in with the lens removed; if you can, the lens is causing the problem.

It could be as simple as the lens is off a little bit and not completely in the orbital groove.

I need to question him on the suede-wrapping process he employed (mars/straight jacket)

Good luck with that - his earlier appearance was the first and only time he's shown up since RED.

And even if he did, if you went through his previous posts, you'd see he either can't or won't answer those sort of questions...

But, hope springs eternal...

Last edited:
Back