• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Suggestions For New Design - Oakley Forum 4.0?

Again, I must respectfully disagree. You may have missed my point. I didn't say that newbies base their impression of the forum on the quantity of posts in their intro thread. Nor did I say that members spend time reviewing how many welcomes others received. And I do agree that people sign up for access to protected content and content quality.

All I'm saying is that is that welcome posts actually do serve a purpose; they make people feel welcome. If someone takes the time to make an intro post (and not all newbies do) and all they get is crickets, that's discouraging. It doesn't mean they won't make posts, that they won't lurk around, or that they won't use the exchange. But having other members welcome them is encouraging, and sometimes can make a difference in how long they stay around and in how much they ultimately participate.

Why do you think OakleyBoss welcomes every single member who makes an intro post? Should he be the only one? I know the response I got to my intro post made a difference to me, kept me going at the beginning, which led to more response outside of the intro and then to building some friendships. And I've heard others tell similar stories.

Just because most of us don't bother to welcome new members, why criticize those who do? What does it really matter if some people make a lot of "welcome" posts? If you're getting a bunch of annoying alerts for those sort of posts, then just don't watch that thread / forum section. There's no need to make rules restricting that sort of thing.

I'm not criticizing those who "do." I'm criticizing those who do to excess. I've requested the option to block/ignore a sub-forum but I don't think it's a feature. Trust me, I don't want to see them.

I've suggested this before, and it's a common thing on this very forum: A BULK WELCOME THREAD. Come to think of it, we already have one to welcome new members. There's also the "Do I look good in these?" thread, among a bunch of others that have thousands of replies. Let these post-happy welcome wagoneers go through, "Like" every new member's first post, Reply to all of them, and that way the damage they've done is one post deep instead of assaulting my New Posts read with 15 worthless "welcome!" posts. I report the offender every time.

I think the only thing people complain about is when someone - sometimes someone below the exchange limit of posts - goes on a tear and fills the entire 'New Posts' feed with welcome responses.

Yeah, it's good. No, it's not much better than spam in some cases (not all). We need to deal with it on somewhat rare occasions.

^ This guy knows what I'm talking about.

The common theme I'm seeing is that the objection to "excessive" welcome posts is when it clogs up the New Posts page. Fair enough; I don't use that page so I'll accept y'all's POV on it. I guess we'll see if the mods think it's a big enough problem to require a blanket solution.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423454137.220793.jpg

That's a good point. I really stray from:

1) Having 1 thread to discuss all new x-metals. As its a rumor/new release it's perfectly fine, but sometimes it just becomes a 100 page thread where every pair is discussed forever, and tons of great information gets lost.

2) Sticking too many threads - Not saying this one, since obviously its a big deal, but the way the forum operates, relevant, popular threads will stay on the front page. Sticking is designed to keep posts which are very helpful, but may not get replies (i.e new rules, announcements etc.).

Obviously these are just my personal opinions. We'll see what happens with all the threads, and go from there. But I appreciate the heads up.

That's a good point. I really stray from:

1) Having 1 thread to discuss all new x-metals. As its a rumor/new release it's perfectly fine, but sometimes it just becomes a 100 page thread where every pair is discussed forever, and tons of great information gets lost.

2) Sticking too many threads - Not saying this one, since obviously its a big deal, but the way the forum operates, relevant, popular threads will stay on the front page. Sticking is designed to keep posts which are very helpful, but may not get replies (i.e new rules, announcements etc.).

Obviously these are just my personal opinions. We'll see what happens with all the threads, and go from there. But I appreciate the heads up.

Will we consider it under sunglass exchange? Or x metal exchange? :p

Not sure if this was ever suggested but I was thinking that maybe the exchange section should have an international section for outside the US/Canada

Latest Posts

Back