• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tapatalk And File Attachments: Opinions Needed?

The new mobile site is nice, but I think that image hosting on the forum, alerts, or notifications, is important. All of these are provided with Tapatalk. If there is a way to have the push notifications on the mobile site and image hosting I am sure more people would be into that. Grabbing photos from photobucket, imageshack, etc is a pain in the a$$. Just being able to snap a pic and load directly to the site which tapatalk does is quick and dirty. The notifications window pops up and allows a direct link to the tapatalk app ref the notification. These things are crucial to most and should be able to be utilized.... If the mobile site can do all this then I see no reason for tapatalk either.

I don't know if I'm the only one but for me the original "desktop" website was much easier to use on my cell phone. Right now I fhe upright position my phone doesn't show some important infos like the last answered thread on the main page. But in horizontal position everything is perfect. So I find myself putting my phone in landscape on the main page but then when I click on a thread I put in back in the upright position

A picture worth a thousand words :

Upright

Screenshot_2014-05-23-19-07-58.png

Landscape

Screenshot_2014-05-23-19-08-13.png

I like using Tapatalk, comments and pictures are easy to scroll through. I don't really like using mobile websites. I always feel like they're missing something compared to their desktop versions.

am I missing something on the mobile site thing? I can google the website and log in fine but I don't see a link that says mobile site. Or is that the mobile site?

am I missing something on the mobile site thing? I can google the website and log in fine but I don't see a link that says mobile site. Or is that the mobile site?
Normally, the site will detect that you are on a mobile device and it will redirect to it (unless the browser settings are different). Some sites don't have the link address as a M. Site.

the mobile site adjusts to your screen size. Its not a mobile site in the sense that we limit what you can do. You have all the features of the standard site, it just makes it easier to read on whatever device you're on. If you're on a large enough device, it will show you the whole site.

the mobile site adjusts to your screen size. Its not a mobile site in the sense that we limit what you can do. You have all the features of the standard site, it just makes it easier to read on whatever device you're on. If you're on a large enough device, it will show you the whole site.

hey Boss, i have been getting some feedback and comments from members, whether it's possible to toggle between the new mobile view, and the old browser view. there are those out there who like to have the website display as per the same view on a PC. is there a way to toggle between the 2?

I know you can upload photos. Is there a place where I can upload an excel spreadsheet for members to access (but not delete or adjust)? Specifically, lens information.

P.S. AND BEFORE someone "rains on my parade", yes, I obviously used the search button and this was the most suitable thread to post in.

I know you can upload photos. Is there a place where I can upload an excel spreadsheet for members to access (but not delete or adjust)? Specifically, lens information.

P.S. AND BEFORE someone "rains on my parade", yes, I obviously used the search button and this was the most suitable thread to post in.
You didn't use the search button. Lol... I kid, I kid. I wanted to rain on your parade.

I've only heard of people linking to various drive sharing sites. It is probably a matter of Boss opening up options for various files... If not via Tapatalk, perhaps through the site, itself.

I've never seen Tapatalk used for anything but pictures... Maybe you know something I don't? Lol

Sent from Q's S8+

Last edited:
Ok, so as the forum grows bigger and bigger, having control is becoming more and more necessary. Something that has been discussed in the past, and we are looking at currently is bringing the mobile site in-house. What this would mean is disabling of Tapatalk.

Now before everyone gets angry, there would be a major overall to our mobile site. We are looking to implement an easy to read, user friendly responsive design. The new mobile site, would allow members to have all the same features as the main forum. The disconnect between Tapatalk and our site, is only increasing which is why we are looking to make this move.

Over to Part 2:

Now I know a large feature members love about Tapatalk is mobile uploads, so this is where file attachments come in. I plan on looking into what kind of server upgrades it would take to host our own images. Not sure yet if there would be some kind of limit on normal members vs. premium members, since it is still early. But as the forum gets older photos hosted on other sites disappear making some threads useless. I just have to see the server side ramifications. We've always avoided hosting photos because of the massive bandwidth and requirements it takes.

So now for opinions? Are you willing to give up Tapatalk for an overall better experience?

Premium Members, How would you feel if everyone was able to upload attachments?

As usual, nothing is set in stone, just looking at moving forward.
Apparently I’m an idiot but how do I get to the mobile site? I’m accessing the forum through safari on my iPhone.

Back