Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses
  1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!

Visionary Lenses - In Depth Review

Discussion in 'Oakley Sunglasses Discussion' started by Batwolf, 10/24/11.

Batwolf

Batwolf Double Team Staff Member Premium Member

In conjunction with the polished Jury xmetalmaniac is making for me, I decided to get some chrome lenses to match the look. Luckily for me, Visionary Lenses sells precut Jury lenses in their version of Chrome Iridium (dubbed "Silver Ice" by them). I have been skeptical of aftermarket lenses but I decided to pull the trigger. I got them on eBay for $22 shipped, normally $40 BIN but they have many auctions that don't end up selling. Here are my impressions.

Unboxing
    Visionary Lenses does a good job of packaging their lenses. They come in a box similar to Oakley's and each lens is tucked in a foam envelope which was inside a microbag. I was impressed with how nice the packaging is. I pulled the lenses out of their individual foam envelopes and I was pleasantly surprised.

[​IMG]

Iridium Coating
    When I ordered these I was skeptical about how close these were to Oakley's Chrome Iridium. I was amazed when I took them out of the envelopes. The lenses really are chrome, almost exactly like Oakley's Iridium coating.

[​IMG]

Exterior comparison
    Being that the lenses are interchangeable with the Fuel Cell, I decided to do a side by side comparison.
    [​IMG]

Then I compared Oakley's Chrome Iridium (from a Holbrook) vs VL's Silver Ice
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the coating is almost if not completely identical to Oakley's. Here's the lenses installed in a Fuel Cell vs Warm Grey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Optical comparison
    For this test, I used a digtal SLR camera on manual mode set for 13 second exposure with 5.6 aperture. Both lens pictures used identical camera settings and have not been digitally altered in any way. This is the most true comparison you will see besides looking through them in person.

[​IMG]

Overall impressions
    I have not worn these outside yet (will update once I do) but overall impressions would be that I'm very impressed. The lenses are high quality, especially for the money. On top of that Visionary Lenses offers ALOT of colors included Purple (Violet Iridium), Gold (24k Gold/Fire), Chrome, Green (Jade), Blue (Ice) and maybe a few others. I would definitely check them out if you want some colors Oakley doesn't offer. I hope you guys find this review informative and help you make a decision if you want to get aftermarket lenses.

Register to Not see this ad
    BAPD77

BAPD77 Oakley Expert Staff Member Premium Member

So i was right all along about the lenses u were going with :)

Also u know there are chrome iridium oakley lenses for fuel cell if u wanted to go authentic?
    Batwolf

Yes you were, bastard. :p

I know Oakley makes Chrome, however they aren't readily available and I thought these would be Jury specific (cut out near top edge) but these turned out to be the same as Fuel Cell lenses. Oh well, for $22 shipped I can't complain!
    BAPD77

BAPD77 Oakley Expert Staff Member Premium Member

I gotcha, i wouldve went with chrome irid too for that project...good choice we think alike. Y do u say theyre not truly polarized?
    SpliceD

SpliceD B-)

Nice review. Interesting that you're the first person i've heard say that they're not really polarized. I almost feel like buyers are being cheated thinking they get a polarized lens when they really don't.
    Batwolf

It isn't exactly the most scientific way to do it but I did the generic computer screen test. I had a set of my Split Jacket lenses against my monitor and then the VL lenses. The SJ lenses have a rainbow effect and the VL lenses don't. From what I can tell they aren't polarized.

I figured I'd actually test it instead of taking their word for it.
    Batwolf

Crappy picture but you can see the difference.

[​IMG]

I also just applied the Hydrophobic solution on these, worked like a champ.
    BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

the rainbowing is due to the curvature of the lens. do a 90 degree rotation and see if the lens makes the screen darker/lighter. thats the test for effective polarisation.
    Batwolf

BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

man thats not cool that they advertise as polarised then.. i know Exovista doesnt do polarisation but Samvette does. samvettes polarisation is weak though, and only dims the screen slightly. i just tried my oakley original fire iridium pol. and the screen completely dissapeared haha.

btw, cant wait till the lenses unite with the frame!! will be awesome!!