• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Nosebridge Rivet Removal Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious on this myself. Are the pins reusable? I found this forum searching for a way to remove them to fix a pair of Pennys. If it's still open I'd love to get in on purchasing this tool.

Being in the UK i also share the postage concerns. What we really need is a European X-Man franchise :D

I'd be in for one of these also, OP.

I'm a member of another forum for Audi 80/S2/RS2's from the early 90's and we have very similar problems with NLA parts, no manufacturer support and replacements. It's only because of clever engineering people on the forum and the mutual-support of traders and members that any of us can continue to run the cars. I see this as exactly the same, both the X-Man professional-grade customs and refurbs and the more homemade DIY rivet/stud replacement tool. The only other thing now is to get a good source for rivets and seals.

As I'm a little worried about placing hundreds of dollars worth of Frames into a box and sending them through the military postal service from Italy and then worry about the return trip even more (They are notoriously bad at losing packages it seems). I'm almost inclined to possibly scratch my frames and try this myself. If I were stateside, I'd send it to X-Man myself in a heartbeat, but this seems like something I could get behind.

I've never opened any of them up.. is it a stupid difficult process to get the flex couplers lined up? And are the flex couplers on ebay (Pricey ones) good enough?

Also, just to clarify from you experts, you can reuse the pins?
I'm curious on this myself. Are the pins reusable? I found this forum searching for a way to remove them to fix a pair of Pennys. If it's still open I'd love to get in on purchasing this tool.

couplers are a cinch to line up. easy peasy. the trick is not damaging the pins, which is almost out of your control. if it goes in even a little bit off skew, it wont work again. sometimes they pinch on the way out and get damaged... in most cases you want a new pin.

I guess I've been lucky...a whole lot...I'm not understanding all the mystique around these.:hunter:

Neither am I. Not difficult at all.

Some of us are not one bit mechanically inclined. I can look at it, and go, "I may need to order stuff". I don't know, never done it before. I can program Routers and build servers all day. It doesn't seem difficult to me, some people can't even turn a computer on. Doesn't make that person any less. Just means they're not as good at something that maybe someone else is.

If you don't understand why there would be a need for a tool because you've never had an X-Metal loose on you.. you're definitely lucky. I've got tons of X-Metals, and five or six of them definitely need tightening. They've just been on big people's heads!

I understand the need. I meant I've been lucky at removing and replacing pins at will. As far as a big head, ok, yeah maybe it was me...
I wouldn't bet to you not being mechanically inclined. Building a server with compatible power supplies and processors is mechanical. Like anything else you have to have the right tools.

Being in the UK i also share the postage concerns. What we really need is a European X-Man franchise :D

I'd be in for one of these also, OP.

I'm a member of another forum for Audi 80/S2/RS2's from the early 90's and we have very similar problems with NLA parts, no manufacturer support and replacements. It's only because of clever engineering people on the forum and the mutual-support of traders and members that any of us can continue to run the cars. I see this as exactly the same, both the X-Man professional-grade customs and refurbs and the more homemade DIY rivet/stud replacement tool. The only other thing now is to get a good source for rivets and seals.
Never lost a pair yet.......

Never lost a pair yet.......

That's actually the most reassuring thing I've read yet. Granted, I already contacted you about sending some pairs out to you while I'm in the states, but that's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back