• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Rubber Parts Greasy?

Skito

Oakley Expert
Germany
Hey everybody,

I am new to this forum, since I just started to look for a new pair of X-Metals. With shock and awe I now realized, that the line will be discontinued. :(

I own a 1999 1st gen X-Metal XX TiO2 which started to show patchy spots that looked like dirt at first. It got worse and worse and I decided to polish the frame. While that might have destroyed any collectors value (plasma finish is now polished) at least they look decent again.

Thank God I bought a few replacement rubber parts when they were still available for a few bucks. However, the ones that I have been keeping in the box started to get all greasy. It looks like the unobtanium is showing some sort of wear even though they have never been touched. Do you guys have the same problem? If so, what do you do against it? I want to keep them in mint condition as as long as possible.

Also, are there any dealers out there who still sell Oakley Romeo 2.0?

Hope you guys can help me :)

The line has been discontinued already, I doubt anyone will have a Romeo 2 anymore unless it need forgotten in the back room or something. Never had any problems with old unused rubber going bad in storage.

I have the same issue with my crosshair ducati's unobtanium earsock, I use them but mostly seating in my cabinet and the rubbers starts to get oily. I tried washing them every once in a while with soap and water just to maintain it but unfortunately, there is no way that you can save the rubbers. The rubbers for the XX is the same with juliet except for the nosebomb, you can use it but you will need to stretch it out.

Yes, that is exactly what my problem is. They just get oily for no good reason at all. So I guess I will have to wash them on a regular basis and hopefully that will expand their life expectation. I just ordered some OEM rubbers for the Juliet from the Oakley website. I still got like 5-6 nosebombs, so hopefully I won't have to worry for a while..

As long as you have the nose bombs you're good. I bought some small line gear nose bombs for my xx babies and although they fit perfectly, they're silicon as opposed to unobtanium and I hate cheating on Oakley.

I don't know, but as what the forum resident cleaning expert BriP always advocates, "hot water, soap and a good cleaning should do the trick". He has said so in many threads before. =) hope it helps!

I have the same issue with my crosshair ducati's unobtanium earsock, I use them but mostly seating in my cabinet and the rubbers starts to get oily. I tried washing them every once in a while with soap and water just to maintain it but unfortunately, there is no way that you can save the rubbers. The rubbers for the XX is the same with juliet except for the nosebomb, you can use it but you will need to stretch it out.

actually you can fix that by boiling them in hot water for about 10minutes. sometimes you need to do it more than once but that usually brings it back.

Latest Posts

Back