• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Big announcement...

During its release, it was really ahead of its time. You can’t compare the first gen iPhone to what is available out there now. That’s an unfair comparison.
I am not doing that. I was stating a fact. At the time of the iPhone release it lacked a number of featuresv that are readily available on androids. And it took the iPhone a generation or two for it to catch up. I never said the iPhone 1 sucked because it isn't as good as today's phones. Not being able to send mms text messages, not being able to use mp3 files as ring tones were two big misses. But they fixed that. If this phone could have made it to generation two or three they would have worked out many things it lacked. But now we will never know.

I am not doing that. I was stating a fact. At the time of the iPhone release it lacked a number of featuresv that are readily available on androids. And it took the iPhone a generation or two for it to catch up. I never said the iPhone 1 sucked because it isn't as good as today's phones. Not being able to send mms text messages, not being able to use mp3 files as ring tones were two big misses. But they fixed that. If this phone could have made it to generation two or three they would have worked out many things it lacked. But now we will never know.
I apologize for jumping to conclusions. It was lacking some those features, yes. A capacitive touchscreen was revolutionized by Apple IIRC. Its hardware/software integration was pretty damn impressive compared to the competition (and still is). I'm no Apple fanboy by any means. I jumped over to a Samsung Android phone years ago and I didn't like it and I went back to Apple. I have high-end Digital Audio Players that are Android-based; and I really wish they were iOS-based. Apple's software is so much smoother to use than Android. It just works better.
I agree that it sucks the RED Hydrogen will not get a second go. I hope JJ has a swift recovery.

I saw this last night. Sorry to hear of Jim's Health issues and I hope that all will be ok.
That being said it's very disappointing how this has been handled. I still love the phone. I use it daily enjoy it even with it's faults. There are many that are pissed that the phone is now half off and that the project is gone, they feel slighted but no one forced us to buy the phone. There are other options out there and I for one bought the phone not because I was promised a bunch of stuff but because I wanted something different than what the other phones are giving now days.
I'll still continue to use the phone and use the H4V function which I've really enjoyed. But it is a hit to hear this and even though it was stated the phone will still be supported... one wonders just for how long.

Good price to see what all the fuss was about...

disclaimer - i have purchased one of these to satisfy my curiosity. anyone else who does so, does it at their own risk....

Last edited: