• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Bored Prototype Tech at work

WOW

Can't wait to see the finished product installed on a frame!

IMG_2979.jpeg

IMG_2978.jpeg

Made a few changes to the mini slash. After I got home I went to place it in my daily wear frame and noticed the lens slide side to side in the frame 🤔 did a deep dive investigation and noticed each lens has different lugs but why. Found some pictures of a matte clear mumbo reissue and stated thinking. I need to trim to fit the lugs. Patterned out a 2.0 made the nose vents sharper and extended the lugs. Got things cut out sand to trim lines every where else then focused on removing equal amount on the lugs. Well least to say the daily frame has the mini slash. I also now have a master copy.

IMG_3001.jpeg

IMG_3004.jpeg

IMG_3003.jpeg

70741292335__03FCF13C-D44A-44A1-B4D2-7E0B4343DBAC.jpeg

IMG_3007.jpeg

IMG_3008.jpeg

So I found the need to replace some of the old school heater lenses today as the vented positive red I had decided to craze and cause distortions. I grabbed a couple a frame 2.0 donor lenses I had this morning an went about my way to work. Since we were slow and I had a good template handy I went to town. Mind you everything was done by hand with the exception of the pneumatic tools. I grabbed some diamond coated dremel bits, traced my pattern out and stopped. Thinking to myself man am I really about to go at this. Thought for a brief second. Screw it. Cranked the air dremel up to a decent rpm and started hacking the lens into shape. Btw not for the faint hearted lol. Start out rough cutting then went at it by hand with 80 grit sand paper to get the shape. Moved to a rat tail file to knock out the vented areas an notches for the lugs. Finished it off with a wet sanding off 500. We have some diamond grit paper glass lenses I’ll throw the fine grit at the edges with some wet sanding as well. But over all very please with the handy 🤣

View attachment 1050569

View attachment 1050570

View attachment 1050571

View attachment 1050572

View attachment 1050573

View attachment 1050575
Great work and attention to detail... it's a satisfying feeling cutting off Polycarbonate. The swarf you get is just so different from cr-39 hard train plastic that turns into dust (powder)... white powder. Let the jokes begin @Litos

I’m putting out a few samples over the next couple weeks. ( I’ll be preoccupied for 10 days after that things will resume ). Select individual with be sent a lens cut fitted for a frame ( no mini slashes sent out ). I’ll be asking them to leave their thoughts about things once they get the lens. I’m not officially taking orders yet. Getting close.

Back