• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

- "Broken" Hard Case Question ...

Zeke

- The Retarded Battle Continues ...
Anyone ever have the adhesive come apart on an older hard case? This is my Science case, ... somewhat hard to replace, or I'd just replace it if it was a simple colored one, or the like.

What might be the best stuff to use to re-adhere w/out suggested stuff bleeding thru to the front? (The white inside it all but mint ...)

My first thoughts were to lightly, & carefully, sand the top, metal surface & use either some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, or possibly some yellow, not black, weather-stripping cement ... then set some weight on it for a good period of time.

Eh?

Thank you, kind folks ...
received_10207291247058980.jpeg
received_10207291244818924.jpeg
received_10207291245218934.jpeg

contact cement...I prefer Barge Contact cement, but any should be find..plus, it's rubbery, so it won't get brittle and crack loose. Or E6000 works well too, but takes longer to cure. Contact cement you just apply a light coat to the contact areas you want stuck (both sides) give it 10 min and stick em together...holds very strong

contact cement...I prefer Barge Contact cement, but any should be find..plus, it's rubbery, so it won't get brittle and crack loose. Or E6000 works well too, but takes longer to cure. Contact cement you just apply a light coat to the contact areas you want stuck (both sides) give it 10 min and stick em together...holds very strong

Fair enough, @dr.chop , & thank you very much. I am thrilled I can save this case with some confidence.

Also, much appreciated for the heads-up to Chop, @OakleyFrankFMJ ...

Anyone ever have the adhesive come apart on an older hard case? This is my Science case, ... somewhat hard to replace, or I'd just replace it if it was a simple colored one, or the like.
What might be the best stuff to use to re-adhere w/out suggested stuff bleeding thru to the front? (The white inside it all but mint ...)
My first thoughts were to lightly, & carefully, sand the top, metal surface & use either some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, or possibly some yellow, not black, weather-stripping cement ... then set some weight on it for a good period of time.
Eh?
Thank you, kind folks ...View attachment 162834 View attachment 162835 View attachment 162836

As soon as I saw this thread I checked my case similar to this and this happened as well. It's now back in shape after repairing it with contact cement as suggested. Thanks guys! :drinks:

How, if at all, would I want to "prep" either surface for some contact cement. Just picked up some DAP Weldwood CC hereally at Home Depot ... Any light scuffing needed, or just do the job & be done with it?

How, if at all, would I want to "prep" either surface for some contact cement. Just picked up some DAP Weldwood CC hereally at Home Depot ... Any light scuffing needed, or just do the job & be done with it?
I know I am a bit late to reply, but I wouldn't suggest a scuffing really on that one. maybe a wipe with denatured alcohol, but that's about it really

Back