• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Broken hinge on Hatchet

I have couple of Hatchet frames with busted hinges, and the solution for me was scavenging from older pairs... recently I have thought of a solution, that I have yet to implement, but I think it may work. I'm planning to use a used empty ball pen insert and combine it with a cast resin part to recreate the "T" shaped plunger, with the point of failure part being made from metal. I've tested the frame fitment, and I think this will work. I just need to find time to make it happen.

Outside of this "home-made" solution - there are no other options as far as I can tell.

I have couple of Hatchet frames with busted hinges, and the solution for me was scavenging from older pairs... recently I have thought of a solution, that I have yet to implement, but I think it may work. I'm planning to use a used empty ball pen insert and combine it with a cast resin part to recreate the "T" shaped plunger, with the point of failure part being made from metal. I've tested the frame fitment, and I think this will work. I just need to find time to make it happen.

Outside of this "home-made" solution - there are no other options as far as I can tell.
Keep us posted, I have a frame with one broken hinge and would love a fix.

Any solutions will have to be "home-made" like this. Can't wait to see how this turns out. I know I'd wear my Hatchets more if I knew I could fix them when that hinge inevitably gives out.

Tried my idea on getting a more robust plunger fabricated, but no luck - the epoxy I used was too brittle and it broke after folding the temples literally 3 times. The little pipe that houses the spring works great... just that block part on top of it is problematic, as it has to handle loads from the top and 2 sides. The size of the thing was seriously testing my patience.

Tried my idea on getting a more robust plunger fabricated, but no luck - the epoxy I used was too brittle and it broke after folding the temples literally 3 times. The little pipe that houses the spring works great... just that block part on top of it is problematic, as it has to handle loads from the top and 2 sides. The size of the thing was seriously testing my patience.

I have mentioned this on other hatchet broken arm threads.... the razrwire, mag four and four s had the exact same mechanism design. I’ve replaced a broken hinge on a razrwire in the past but I’m not sure if the spring and plunger is the same size for the hatchet. If it is, It’s worth a shot if you want to try and save your hatchet.

If the spring and plunger is shorter on the hatchet, you can just use the hatchet spring and shorten the plunger with an exacto blade. See below:

ORIGINAL OAKLEY HATCHET RAZRWIRE SERVICE PART (SPRING+PLASTIC HOLDER) | eBay

The listing does say it will work for a hatchet

Here is a pair of razrwires for the same price you can take the spring and plunger out of

oakley razrwire sunglasses | eBay

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back