• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Carbon Fibre Juliets - my homage to this wonderful design

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, really really good to get some feedback on these.

Using the mould route and forming the moulds in the way I do allows me to exert a certain amount of force from the mould on the carbon fibre as the stuff I use is quite dense already. When it's laid in the mould and the resin added, I can gently work it until I can see no more pinholes or voids and then I use a heavy weights on the lid to compress the mould further, it works really well and I can get pretty consistent results each time.

I will be creating some more in the next few weeks and as soon as I get some more that I feel are good enough for posting up I will.

@jdd32 I didn't have a picture on the scale until you mentioned it :) so here you go:

DSC00010.jpg

Just a little under half the weight of a pair of titanium ones (my babies):

DSC00013.jpg

and the case isn't too bad at 65g

DSC00012.jpg

The key thing for getting these right was when I dismantled my Juliets (very carefully) so that I could mould each part in silicone.

The fun was getting the mix of different carbon fibre materials to sit well, look good and be strong .... and I am still learning all the time :)

One other great side benefit of these is that they are very light weight, but also they do not heat up, I have sometimes had my titanium Juliets sat in the sun, perhaps during lunch and when I go to put them on, I can feel the heat that they have absorbed. These don't do that, although being as I am in the UK, we don't have that much sun here :rolleyes: so it doesn't happen too often and the sun isn't too hot !!

I can't wait to get my hands on the Romeo's though, I have been waiting for those for years ... will be scary though taking them apart :shock:

Latest Posts

Back