• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Painting Questions

five56

Oakley Enthusiast
So, I'm thinking of customizing a pair of M2's. They are currently the boring matte black with gloss wings.

Being an artist, and having lots of airbrush experience already, what are the go to paints for you customizers out there?

I have a wide range of the Createx colors including the Wicked Colors, Candy2.0, sealers etc.

One question is; once you do the surface prep, are you guys using like an autoborne sealer or basic primers? What about a clear? I'm thinking of the UVLS Clear, as it would play nice with the water based paints I already have. Anyone use this type of non 2k clear? How is the long term durability with sweat and cleanings and handlings?

Thanks!

I've painted several Oakleys with just some care and rattle cans, but I'm a friggin surgeon with spray paint. If you have airbrushes and fancy paint, you're already a step ahead there haha. Adhesion isn't much of a problem, I can say that much, Oakley materials take paint very darn well. It's also a great time to take some 1000, 1500 or 2000 sandpaper and smooth down any molding or stamping ridges. Probably just starting out, I'd grab a pair of cheapo gas station $5 sunglasses and practice some shooting onto them to get a vibe for how to dial in your nozzles n pressure :)

I've painted several Oakleys with just some care and rattle cans, but I'm a friggin surgeon with spray paint. If you have airbrushes and fancy paint, you're already a step ahead there haha. Adhesion isn't much of a problem, I can say that much, Oakley materials take paint very darn well. It's also a great time to take some 1000, 1500 or 2000 sandpaper and smooth down any molding or stamping ridges. Probably just starting out, I'd grab a pair of cheapo gas station $5 sunglasses and practice some shooting onto them to get a vibe for how to dial in your nozzles n pressure :)
Thanks for the info. Yes, I just gave it a try a few weeks ago, here: My First Custom Painted Frame

I initially used an xacto blade to remove the mold seams, at a 90 degree angle with a light scraping movement. Then before sealing / priming, I roughed the surface with a gray scotch-bright pad. Also lots of washing before hand to remove any oils. Paint adhesion was very good, like what you said.

Thanks for all the info! Would love to try some different solid colors on the Eyejacket Redux.

Did you end up trying out the UVLS Clear on a pair?

Thanks for all the info! Would love to try some different solid colors on the Eyejacket Redux.

No problem! Yes, I used the UVLS High Gloss and it sprayed and coated really well. The reducer was 4011, for all UVLS types, in case you want to try. Best clear I've ever used that was not a 2k.

im curious to see the durability of that clear. It doesn't seem like it's a great choice for glasses with it only being "water resistant". I'm guess sweat will kill it.

im curious to see the durability of that clear. It doesn't seem like it's a great choice for glasses with it only being "water resistant". I'm guess sweat will kill it.
It's a water based clear, but dries really hard. I've been using it for outdoor activities and lawn work, with lots of sweating and so far so good. Long term use we will see.

Back