• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Diving into X Metals

MinC13

I should Work at Oakley
I’m still not entirely sure they’re for me, but recently I’ve been thinking more and more about picking up an x-metal. They’re uncharted territory for me - what are some of the things I should know?

As far as picking the right frame, I have a medium-large size head, and frames like the MD and SJ2 fit me best.

budget-wise- I know they’re expensive, but I’d like to stay under $450, if possible. Regarding condition, What are some questions I should ask when looking at a potential purchase?

I’m still not entirely sure they’re for me, but recently I’ve been thinking more and more about picking up an x-metal. They’re uncharted territory for me - what are some of the things I should know?

As far as picking the right frame, I have a medium-large size head, and frames like the MD and SJ2 fit me best.

budget-wise- I know they’re expensive, but I’d like to stay under $450, if possible. Regarding condition, What are some questions I should ask when looking at a potential purchase?
MDs fit medium to large heads, IMO...

On X Squared, make sure the stem stops work. There is a condition that can happen where the stem tips can hit the inside of the lenses otherwise.

Ask/check on the bridge in any X metal. If it’s loose, you can have it tuned/fixed. Ask for pics of the nosebridge, in case it’s been wrongly fixed. There’s a Plasma XX floating around with a terrible tune job and the nose bridge will need replaced. (Or, so it looks in pics)

Check that the orbital gaskets are good. They go bad, especially on the Romeo (R1)

Check for spider cracks on the lenses on an R1. The bridge on those don’t flex, so they stress the lenses if you don’t put them on over your head.

Half X and penny have spring hinges. You’ll want to ask on those if you ever decide to check them out. The half x actually breaks.

Theres more, I’m sure. But, that should get you started.

That’s very helpful. Thanks. I’m leaning towards the XX. If I do end up pulling the trigger, it would probably behoove me to do so on here. I saw a plasma/emerald pair which has been listed here for over a year, but the seller wants close to $600 for it.

Juliets tend to be fairly affordable as well. One thing to be aware of is that there are a TON of fake X-Metals floating around -- Safest place to acquire them is here in the Oakley Exchange. However, if you come across one and you're not sure, you can always post pictures here and the forum residents can tell you real quick if it's a legit pair or not.

Last edited:
That’s very helpful. Thanks. I’m leaning towards the XX. If I do end up pulling the trigger, it would probably behoove me to do so on here. I saw a plasma/emerald pair which has been listed here for over a year, but the seller wants close to $600 for it.

There’s a reason when items sit that long...especially a plasma XX, which is usually quite desirable.

Back