• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do You Have The Right Tool For Your X-Metal?

I wouldn't use a precision driver either way. I'm more interested in how the tip is cut and formed and holds up to abuse.

I'll agree though, the smaller precision wiha drivers aren't great for this application.

Personally I've had no problems with the precision driver handles, actually prefer them. I'm sure some people's hands work better with one and others with the other.

The advantage to Wiha is the driver tips. They use a proprietary, hardened CRM-72 tool steel and are precision ground to be a perfect fit.

Both of those qualities reduce the chance of damaging screwheads. The precision ground fitting maximizes the contact between driver and screw, distributing the force the most evenly and reducing pressure points that can deform the screw head and ultimately strip it. It also eliminates the "wiggle room" that can make it easier to torque-out and damage the head, surrounding areas, and/or the driver itself.

The hardened CRM-72 tool steel helps prevent the driver tip itself from deforming, especially in high-torque applications, which would destroy the precision ground fitting. The tiny bits of precision drivers are particularly susceptible to that. Before Wiha I had a "quality" Craftsman T6 that the tip deformed on when trying to remove the pocket clip on a folding knife with very tight screws, and then trying to use it again later messed up another screwhead. With the Wiha, no problem.

Whether or not your Wera drivers are up to the same standards, I cannot say. But the above qualities are more important than the handle design.

I agree with both of you 110%. and am in the process to fully understand what the metallurgical specifics of Wera are :)

I'd love to be right.

I'd actually be more happy to be wrong, meaning i learnt something worth learning

Just got it from the mail today..my glasses will be happy to meet this Wiha driver..got excited as well!
20150422_121723_zpslb1w6dem.jpg

So just wondering, I got some x squared glasses recently (just the glasses and case literally nothing else). I was wondering if someone could tell me weather it uses a a T-6 or T-5 (seems to be references to both sizes and also the hex size i would need for the nose bridge screws) thanks in advance for the help

So just wondering, I got some x squared glasses recently (just the glasses and case literally nothing else). I was wondering if someone could tell me weather it uses a a T-6 or T-5 (seems to be references to both sizes and also the hex size i would need for the nose bridge screws) thanks in advance for the help

.05 hex for the nosebridge; not Torx.

T-6 for the orbitals and earstems.

Thanks to the info in this thread, I purchased some Wiha screwdrivers: Torx for my Juliet frames, Phillips and flat-head for my TB watch.
The precision of the shape of the tips of these screwdrivers is astonishing! When the screwdriver engages with the head of the screw, it feels like the two are glued together. Working with small screw sizes, I've never felt such a secure connection with the work as I do when I'm using these Wiha screwdrivers. Highly recommended!
BTW, I got the Wiha screwdrivers with the hard handles, not the more expensive soft-finish models.

Latest Posts

Back