• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does Anyone Chrome O Matter?

The Saint

I should Work at Oakley
I am looking to have a couple Jawbone frames (silver and black) and maybe an old Batwolf (clear) redone in chrome. Do any of our talented customizers do such work? Thanks.

yes, it has been done in the past. There were a bunch that were done 8 - 10 years ago in different colors. I know who facilitated it but I dont know who actually did the work.

Honestly its a giant pain in the ass. I've tried a couple of places they didn't do very good work. They did one frame wrong 3 times, broke one of my frames, and then 1 the chrome was textured almost. Tried another place and the stuff just flaked off. I know Brian had a person coating em for him in Canada as well but he's not doing glasses anymore. And if you manage to get one chromes decently it's still a super delicate finish. Chances are you'll chip it trying to swap lenses ever. Everyplace I've seen do it they put a layer of a gray gloss paint down then the chrome goes overtop it. It's thick enough where it causes fitment problems with lenses and such.

My last company designed and manufactured equipment to chrome plastic parts in a high vacuum chamber. I tried for 3 years to get a MD chromed. But the tooling to secure all parts cost apparently thousands. It’s multi stage process.
First step is a flaming process where the plastic gets torched to prepare the surface. Second step is the actual chroming.
Third step is a clear coating process.
All is done in an automated process in three different chambers.
This types of equipment cost over 1.5Mil.

My last company designed and manufactured equipment to chrome plastic parts in a high vacuum chamber. I tried for 3 years to get a MD chromed. But the tooling to secure all parts cost apparently thousands. It’s multi stage process.
First step is a flaming process where the plastic gets torched to prepare the surface. Second step is the actual chroming.
Third step is a clear coating process.
All is done in an automated process in three different chambers.
This types of equipment cost over 1.5Mil.
That's what's used for most automotive chrome over plastic correct?

All the stuff I've seen done with glasses seems to be a different process, more like this one. Where it's a layer of glossy paint/or primer as some call it, then a couple chemical steps followed by clear coat.

But it's not durable at all really from everything I've seen with it first hand.

That's what's used for most automotive chrome over plastic correct? All the stuff I've seen done with glasses seems to be a different process, more like this one. Where it's a layer of glossy paint/or primer as some call it, then a couple chemical steps followed by clear coat. But it's not durable at all really from everything I've seen with it first hand.
Exactly.
All automotive parts get chromed like that. Its the only process the is durable enough to last a lifetime. I have seen these spray-on and am not impressed. I doubt the chrome will withstand the installation of the lenses.

IMG_9765.jpeg

Back