• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does anyone know how strong is the frame of the new released MARS?

Cody Oslo

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Oslo
Hello friends,
I'm curious if the new Mars frame (3D printing) has close stiffness compared to the OG (Ti alloy)? Waiting for your input.

My guess, based on the release literature, is that these are actually made on a DMLS machine not a typical 3D printer as you would imagine.

At my prior job we would prototype functional engine components this way when we didn't want to spend money building a prototype die cast tool. Parts made this way are actually denser and stronger than a typical cast part. This is probably why people who have weighed there MUZM pieces have found they are heavier than the originals.

If Lux didn't find a way to screw it up, these would be as strong, or stronger, then the originals.

My guess, based on the release literature, is that these are actually made on a DMLS machine not a typical 3D printer as you would imagine.

At my prior job we would prototype functional engine components this way when we didn't want to spend money building a prototype die cast tool. Parts made this way are actually denser and stronger than a typical cast part. This is probably why people who have weighed there MUZM pieces have found they are heavier than the originals.

If Lux didn't find a way to screw it up, these would be as strong, or stronger, then the originals.
looks like you know some technical details, thank you

You are correct about the wight difference!
20231114_140915.jpg
20231114_140943.jpg

Back