• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Miss The 90s/Early 2000s

I kinda agree with Herb on the variety aspect. Eyeshade, Minute, Straight Jacket, Trenchcoat, Twenty and Valve all looked very similar and weren't too special. There is more style variety now but the styles aren't as great.

We all know some of the early styles were innovative in design & through progress this has bought us Jawbone, Split Jacket, Fast Jacket & the Radarlock. Things do move on with progress & we have to accept change. There is a far wider appeal to Oakley Sunnies because of the variety of design now than there was & this is what will keep the company going forward whether we like it or not. I'm sure that most of us love the old style frames that first made Oakley unique & this will never be forgotten but with progress comes change & we can do nothing about that. Some of the new frames I do not like but that doesn't stop me loving Oakley OLD & new.

I very much agree with your point on loving vintage designs. However, the argument I was making was against the belief that there was more variety in those days. And there wasn't.

There were some sick colorways though. Bring that sh1t back. :biggrin:

When you only had 4 models of glasses you had to make them appeal to different people through crazy colorways.

I agree though, it's sad to see Oakley have 15 different pairs with 3-5 color options each. I only fit a small minority of the frames, half of which I think are ugly, and so I have but a few options.

Right now my dream pair is a re-release of the Straight Jacket Gen1, maybe a little tweaking to the design here and there, with the majority of the colorways available. Or something the size of the current Ten with a bit more classic stylings.

When I look at Oakley design and the models they release they seem to release a small, med and large model for different size heads and faces. I see the Straight Jacket as the large, XX as the medium and the Minute as small. In the 90s if you liked the Straight Jacket but found the frame to big the sales clerk would show you a XX or a Minute if they fit you better. When the Gascan became a hit Oakley put out a Canteen and later Gascan S. The Monster Doggle, Monster Dog, and Unknown. X-metal XX, Juliet and the Penny. Radars with 3 lens shapes. I could go on...

From a sales perspective Oakley has taken a design that sells and creates larger and smaller versions so they cover the widest demographics of the customer. So in a way, Straight Jacket, XX and Minute look the same, but I believe they do for a reason.

I couldn't agree with what Oakley_Sight said any better. We can enjoy the old days for what they were but now it's time to move on and focus on what's coming out now.

Oakley has grown tremendously from their days in the 90's. And you have to realize now that Oakley is one of the largest, if not the largest sunglass company in the world and as such there will be more options to choose from. They've been making sunglasses for 30+ years for Gods sake!

When I look at Oakley design and the models they release they seem to release a small, med and large model for different size heads and faces. I see the Straight Jacket as the large, XX as the medium and the Minute as small. In the 90s if you liked the Straight Jacket but found the frame to big the sales clerk would show you a XX or a Minute if they fit you better. When the Gascan became a hit Oakley put out a Canteen and later Gascan S. The Monster Doggle, Monster Dog, and Unknown. X-metal XX, Juliet and the Penny. Radars with 3 lens shapes. I could go on...

From a sales perspective Oakley has taken a design that sells and creates larger and smaller versions so they cover the widest demographics of the customer. So in a way, Straight Jacket, XX and Minute look the same, but I believe they do for a reason.

None of the models you've mentioned are all that big. But yes, they've been making very similar styles in a couple different sizes for years.

And a rubber/non-rubber version of each size as well.

A few people have mentioned a desire for them to remake old and retired models... is this something that they have ever done, or is it just wishful thinking ?

Herbie...
Your comparing the original innovations that paved the way for the new ones.
Just like classic cars, there is far more beauty in the beholders eyes for the originals.

Do I like the new Camaro? yes
Would I take a classic 69 over it? YES

Call it what you will, there will always be those of us that just love what got us started and maybe we couldn't afford at the time...
I laughed when you didn't want a Vintage section for just that reason, but to me the hunt for the classics makes me love them even more because anyone can go buy a readily available shelf stuffer...

To each their own, my own is different than yours and I'm sure it always will be!

Very well said.. You mention 2 of the reasons I look for Oakley's from that exact same period. That's when I got started and first fell in love with Oakley, but being a teenager obviously I couldn't afford to buy a lot of the stuff I really wanted.

The hunt is half the fun and makes the score that much sweeter.

A few people have mentioned a desire for them to remake old and retired models... is this something that they have ever done, or is it just wishful thinking ?
Collectors Frogskins in 2008, as well as the Collectors Razorblades/Eyeshades.

I miss the classical titanium wires that were super light and made for small to medium faces. There were interesting lens tins like VR28 Blue Iridium Polarized, Emerald Slate, and Ruby Clear. Now, what is the wire line? Lame designs like the Tightrope, which are inferior to the A-wire, and everything else is for people with gigantic heads. Even the used market is getting sparse for ti wires.

Back