• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I Miss The 90s/Early 2000s

Do you think they will re release the older styles? I agree, the nostalgia is amazing. I remember watching WCW and WWF wrestling and getting excited when some of the guys had the Eye Jackets. My face was (and still is) way too small for those Eye Jackets but I remember buying a pair from a from and loving the heck out of 'em. I agree that the Square O stuff is a bit lacking. I don't think I have any Square O eyewear. The vault had a pair of original Minutes this past November and I got it. I am assuming it's from the old US Standard Issue site as it does not have the original Oakley signature across the bridge. I had the new Minute 2.0s (gave them to the girlfriend's little bro as his first pair) and just found them really cluttered and tacky.

if you look hard enough these older ones are all over ebay, just have to be patient and find theones you want.

You guys make me laugh. Being so dismissive of current Oakley output, and yet harking back to Eye Jackets and Minutes etc as if they were so radically different from each other.

I'm the first one to hold my hands up and say that I miss the good old days of game-changing Oakley design, especially the X-Metal range and cutting-edge genius like Zeros, M-Frames and OTTs etc. But Oakley's bread-and-butter O-Matter designs have always been just that. To say that the current Square O range is lacking in comparison to the Jackets period is just plain wrong from a design perspective. Like it or loathe it, there is way more variation in Oakley's current O-Matter frame collection than there was in the period you are discussing.

We all have our favourite frames that we love to discuss, and those we love to diss, but let's keep some perspective. Oakley's non-sports/fashion/lifestyle (whatever you want to call it) range is more varied now than ever.
There's some weak and lazy frames in it, I grant you.
But it's varied.

You guys make me laugh. Being so dismissive of current Oakley output, and yet harking back to Eye Jackets and Minutes etc as if they were so radically different from each other.

I'm the first one to hold my hands up and say that I miss the good old days of game-changing Oakley design, especially the X-Metal range and cutting-edge genius like Zeros, M-Frames and OTTs etc. But Oakley's bread-and-butter O-Matter designs have always been just that. To say that the current Square O range is lacking in comparison to the Jackets period is just plain wrong from a design perspective. Like it or loathe it, there is way more variation in Oakley's current O-Matter frame collection than there was in the period you are discussing.

We all have our favourite frames that we love to discuss, and those we love to diss, but let's keep some perspective. Oakley's non-sports/fashion/lifestyle (whatever you want to call it) range is more varied now than ever.
There's some weak and lazy frames in it, I grant you.
But it's varied.

Herbie...
Your comparing the original innovations that paved the way for the new ones.
Just like classic cars, there is far more beauty in the beholders eyes for the originals.

Do I like the new Camaro? yes
Would I take a classic 69 over it? YES

Call it what you will, there will always be those of us that just love what got us started and maybe we couldn't afford at the time...
I laughed when you didn't want a Vintage section for just that reason, but to me the hunt for the classics makes me love them even more because anyone can go buy a readily available shelf stuffer...

To each their own, my own is different than yours and I'm sure it always will be!

Yea I agree with Herbsley as far as frame design the eye jacket's/minute's/XX's/new SJ's were basically different size frames with minor tweaks in design. I love those frames, don't get me wrong, but I feel it's the colorway options I miss the most. I would snatch up an electric blue/electric mustard/fmj 5.56/white chrome/black chrome etc jupiter squared/holbrook/dispatch ect with colored lenses (not black/gray) in a second (yes, I do own the goldbrooks)! I walk into the store and I still see frames I like, but no execution as far as color. I absolutely HATE "special edition" glasses with black/gray lenses. What's up with that? What's so special about the blandest color lens you can buy that you can get from any sunglass company? Special should be something I can't get from anywhere except Oakley, like the fire's/ruby's/jade's/24k's/ice's etc. There's nothing like a zero or even a splice, but I'm sure if the newer frames had some life to them, people would find something they like. Not saying they would be better, but still desirable enough.

The new SJs just seem like they have more going on....why do we need "lugs"? They have no point. Maybe I'm just stuck in the 90s, haha. I think the Jackets just looked really sleek. I will say that I love the flaks but the square Os just seem too....hip. Of course I'm more of the athletic/active fashion guy than the lifestyle "square O" style. In no way am I meaning that as an insult, either and I hope I did not imply anything of the sort. Like so many said on here.....tastes differ but one thing will be sure for everyone...we all love the O!

Herbie...
Your comparing the original innovations that paved the way for the new ones.
Just like classic cars, there is far more beauty in the beholders eyes for the originals.

Do I like the new Camaro? yes
Would I take a classic 69 over it? YES

Call it what you will, there will always be those of us that just love what got us started and maybe we couldn't afford at the time...
I laughed when you didn't want a Vintage section for just that reason, but to me the hunt for the classics makes me love them even more because anyone can go buy a readily available shelf stuffer...

To each their own, my own is different than yours and I'm sure it always will be!

I very much agree with your point on loving vintage designs. However, the argument I was making was against the belief that there was more variety in those days. And there wasn't.

There were some sick colorways though. Bring that sh1t back. :biggrin:

Back