• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ichiro One off game prototypes

What’s the story with this one? Those rubbers look awesome
now that you asked...

A Sports collectible dealer bought a lot of Mariners game-worn items from coast to coast collectibles which had provenance, COA's, etc. this was part of the lot but two other pairs had signatures on the lenses from Ichiro these didn't. I reached out to the dealer and mentioned since there is no provenance, I could put together the same pair for $3-400 easy .and offered him somewhere in between what he had them listed for and what I thought the value was since there is no solid proof that they were game worn. he accepted and it got picked up by USPS in Seattle as suspicious mail. it was held for a while, this was shipped on 7/13 and I just got them.

Now that I have them in hand I can say that I have never seen Rubbers like these, they are brand new and have no deterioration, still have the little ridges from the mold. there is one scuff on the unetched lens. and it looks like it is from being used ONCE because the frame, rubbers, and lenses are perfect ( no swirl marks from cleaning or wear, etc.) In the end, I didn't need the provenance for them to be game-worn but the fact that they are one-off prototypes for Ichiro add-up. the circumstances would be too difficult to orchestrate for the $ I paid. I am going to put out some feelers to someone who may have worked with Ichiro from Oakley to maybe get a backstory from the creation standpoint, to which, if anyone knows a contact that may have some knowledge on the matter, please pm me!

now that you asked...

A Sports collectible dealer bought a lot of Mariners game-worn items from coast to coast collectibles which had provenance, COA's, etc. this was part of the lot but two other pairs had signatures on the lenses from Ichiro these didn't. I reached out to the dealer and mentioned since there is no provenance, I could put together the same pair for $3-400 easy .and offered him somewhere in between what he had them listed for and what I thought the value was since there is no solid proof that they were game worn. he accepted and it got picked up by USPS in Seattle as suspicious mail. it was held for a while, this was shipped on 7/13 and I just got them.

Now that I have them in hand I can say that I have never seen Rubbers like these, they are brand new and have no deterioration, still have the little ridges from the mold. there is one scuff on the unetched lens. and it looks like it is from being used ONCE because the frame, rubbers, and lenses are perfect ( no swirl marks from cleaning or wear, etc.) In the end, I didn't need the provenance for them to be game-worn but the fact that they are one-off prototypes for Ichiro add-up. the circumstances would be too difficult to orchestrate for the $ I paid. I am going to put out some feelers to someone who may have worked with Ichiro from Oakley to maybe get a backstory from the creation standpoint, to which, if anyone knows a contact that may have some knowledge on the matter, please pm me!
Wow that’s awesome!! Congrats. Keep us updated what you find out.

now that you asked...

I know someone that used to work in the design department, he was a top brass guy.
What year do you think those would have been issued?

2003 ish?
Ok. Sent off an email. Let’s see if we can find something out. He was more responsible for the movie aspect of Oakley creations, MI, Blade, and X-men sunnies. Not sure about sports, but I asked.
It might take a little time for a response👍🏼.
Will let you know.
Nice buy though. Are those rubbers a grey or silver?
It’s carbon with BI lens correct?

Ok. Sent off an email. Let’s see if we can find something out. He was more responsible for the movie aspect of Oakley creations, MI, Blade, and X-men sunnies. Not sure about sports, but I asked.
It might take a little time for a response👍🏼.
Will let you know.
Nice buy though. Are those rubbers a grey or silver?
It’s carbon with BI lens correct?

Carbon (older matte-ier, fingerprint-attacting) slate iridium with silver rubbers sorta got a shimmer like the emerald polished rubbers.

Back