• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying Indoor/Low Light Lenses

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
Username Hidden said:
I saw the cheap P42 fast jacket lenses and thought about buying a set. It's probably worth a shot.
As far as the snow goggle lenses, they're thick enough to use in the sunglasses frames? I've only owned the mx goggles and didn't think they were near close enough to work.
You are correct with many MX goggles having a relatively flimsy lens - you could easily twist and bend them. In most cases they were single pane lens made of lexan, although some dual pane version exist for use in rainy weather or snowmobiling. There are a few exceptions in regards to snow goggles that also utilize a dual pane lexan lens, such as the lower tier models like E-Frame or O-Frame snow goggles.

However the vast majority of snow goggles have lenses made of polycarbonate plastic giving it more thickness and rigidity over the lexan lenses. An all are dual pane, this dual lens design is done to help prevent fogging in addition to the anti-fog coating the inner lens is treated with - the dual lens works similarly to dual pane glass, to create a buffer between the warm air your face is emitting and the cold air outside.

The goggle models mentioned earlier will all have polycarbonate outer lenses. The inner lens is clear and attached to the front outer lens with double side foam tape, you'd stick an Xacto blade between the foam and cut a slit big enough to get your finger under to peel off the inner from the outer lens. Then you'd have an outer lens that you can now tape up to use as a donor, you'd eventually need to remove the rest of the foam goo left from the inner lens but I always wait till I've already cut out the rough shape as there no point taking it all off if some ends up being scraps.

Best example I have on hand is a Splice VR50 Emerald which I messed cutting :-( but for the sake of thickness look at the nose cut out area where you can kinda get an idea on thickness also one of it in front of a M-Frame Strike lens...
50549088_536693133515717_2298634525082648576_n.jpg

Some people reacted to this post.
Found a persimmon strike lens inside what I thought was empty box... It's got couple tiny surface scratchers but otherwise clean. Wanna say it's Gen.2 lens, as it's got a center logo but no date stamp or NTPC type etching.

If you wanted to explore that avenue of CC option from goggles, I got a couple persimmon beaters you could use for practice..

Some people reacted to this post.

Latest Posts

Back