• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Wraparound (non-shield) frame with unobtanium earsocks and nosepads for smaller head

If this is so,.....P.O.I.D.H.......... :spiteful: :grin:
Haha I know where you’re going with this .

Kids , this is what happens when you have a bad case of FOMO . Let these pictures ( and this is just scratching the surface ) act as a warning . Oakley is bad for your financial well being

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_0241.jpeg

IMG_0240.jpeg

IMG_0239.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0238.jpeg

Ah man that’s too bad. You can still get them on the SI site here in the US and they’re easy to source on eBay/the forum.

I’m not too up on the current models tbh.

There are a couple others that might work, but with some caveats.

There is the New Valve, but it’s more towards the larger side. I have pretty much a medium head and they fit me. They sit on my cheeks a little bit, but nothing crazy and super comfy. Finding replacement earsocks may not be as easy with these, but you could get them on the warranty site last time I checked.

If you truly have a smaller face, the Fives Squared would work well, but no unobtanium earsocks. The new ones have nosepads tho and I like them a lot. They’re a little small on me, but I still like em.
I came hear looking for confirmation of this...

I'm a small head guy and I've wanted Fives Squared for a few years but didn't like how low and close to my brow they sat so I've been checking back annually-ish (whenever insurance says I'm eligible for new glasses) to see if Oakley had upgraded them yet.

Today I saw an Amazon vendor selling replacement nose pads for Fives Squared (OO9238 so they've got the model number correct) with choices to click on for different fits (standard or "Asian"). ... Recognizing Amazon vendors aren't always accurate/reliable I contacted Oakley via their website to confirm. Their chat rep said "Yes, here's a link showing you how to change them."... The frames shown at the link he provided were a completely different model with a one-piece nose pad. So, I asked for a link to purchase the replacement nose pads (figuring if Oakley sells them for the Fives they must be replaceable). He said they don't sell them online then referred me to LenCrafters. - "Unfortunately we don't sell them online but you can find any Oakley replacement parts you need here:" then gave me a link to LensCrafters.

I called the local LensCrafters who said they couldn't verify one way or the other then suggested I contact Oakley. (It seemed like the guy actually looked into it, he found the model number, was clicking away as we spoke, and put me on hold for a minute with a claim he was going to check further.)

I called the nearest Oakley store. The guy there, while I was on the phone, opened the most recent pair they'd received (at least that's what he was claimed he was doing) then said "No, the nose pads are fixed. You can't change them."

So, I came here looking to see if this had been addressed recently. ... It looks like it has in some capacity since you've said yours have nose pads that can be changed out. ... Are you in the US? I am. Maybe they're not available here and that's why I'm getting a conflicting answer?

I came hear looking for confirmation of this...

I'm a small head guy and I've wanted Fives Squared for a few years but didn't like how low and close to my brow they sat so I've been checking back annually-ish (whenever insurance says I'm eligible for new glasses) to see if Oakley had upgraded them yet.

Today I saw an Amazon vendor selling replacement nose pads for Fives Squared (OO9238 so they've got the model number correct) with choices to click on for different fits (standard or "Asian"). ... Recognizing Amazon vendors aren't always accurate/reliable I contacted Oakley via their website to confirm. Their chat rep said "Yes, here's a link showing you how to change them."... The frames shown at the link he provided were a completely different model with a one-piece nose pad. So, I asked for a link to purchase the replacement nose pads (figuring if Oakley sells them for the Fives they must be replaceable). He said they don't sell them online then referred me to LenCrafters. - "Unfortunately we don't sell them online but you can find any Oakley replacement parts you need here:" then gave me a link to LensCrafters.

I called the local LensCrafters who said they couldn't verify one way or the other then suggested I contact Oakley. (It seemed like the guy actually looked into it, he found the model number, was clicking away as we spoke, and put me on hold for a minute with a claim he was going to check further.)

I called the nearest Oakley store. The guy there, while I was on the phone, opened the most recent pair they'd received (at least that's what he was claimed he was doing) then said "No, the nose pads are fixed. You can't change them."

So, I came here looking to see if this had been addressed recently. ... It looks like it has in some capacity since you've said yours have nose pads that can be changed out. ... Are you in the US? I am. Maybe they're not available here and that's why I'm getting a conflicting answer?

Yes, the newer models of Fives Squared with the 9238 sku do have nosepads. They are rubber molded over plastic. The plastic part has two mounting holes that mount on corresponding posts on the frame. I will attach a pic of what they look like on a New Valve frame. Same nosepads are used on that frame and several others. I have replaced a set of them on a Fives before. Used a plastic pry tool to loosen and remove them.

Also, here is a thread with more pics about them and showing pics of what they look like unmounted.

You can buy them straight from Luxxotica on the replacement parts site btw. I’m sure there are plenty of aftermarket and OEM ones on eBay/amazon too.

IMG_5742.jpeg

IMG_5741.jpeg

Awesome... and thank you!

Just as an "isn't that curious" point I guess... I'd emailed Oakley before posting here yesterday and this was their response to the question regarding availability to put low bridge nose pads on Fives Squared frames...

Thank you for contacting Oakley. I would be happy to assist you.
After searching, the Five Squared frame has three models.
OO9079 - (Old Five Squared) - Discontinued
OO9214 - (Asian Fit or Low Bridge Fit Five Squared) - Discontinued
OO9238- (New Five Squared)
The Low Bridge Fit nose pads can only be interchanged for the Low Bridge Fit Five Squared frames. You are unable to purchase Low Bridge Fit nose pads to use on the regular Five Squared frames.
To make sure your issue has been resolved, please confirm by responding to this email.
Please contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns.
Again, thank you for contacting Oakley. Have a great day!
Best Regards,
Jeremy C.
OAKLEY, INC.
WWW.OAKLEY.COM

Are yours for sure 9238? (I imagine it'd be an easy thing to not notice if never specifically checked.) ... My thought being some folks happened to luck out and get a pair of the second version he listed (9214) when low bridge nose pads were an option but they've since been discontinued already.

Awesome... and thank you!

Just as an "isn't that curious" point I guess... I'd emailed Oakley before posting here yesterday and this was their response to the question regarding availability to put low bridge nose pads on Fives Squared frames...

Thank you for contacting Oakley. I would be happy to assist you.
After searching, the Five Squared frame has three models.
OO9079 - (Old Five Squared) - Discontinued
OO9214 - (Asian Fit or Low Bridge Fit Five Squared) - Discontinued
OO9238- (New Five Squared)
The Low Bridge Fit nose pads can only be interchanged for the Low Bridge Fit Five Squared frames. You are unable to purchase Low Bridge Fit nose pads to use on the regular Five Squared frames.
To make sure your issue has been resolved, please confirm by responding to this email.
Please contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns.
Again, thank you for contacting Oakley. Have a great day!
Best Regards,
Jeremy C.
OAKLEY, INC.
WWW.OAKLEY.COM

Are yours for sure 9238? (I imagine it'd be an easy thing to not notice if never specifically checked.) ... My thought being some folks happened to luck out and get a pair of the second version he listed (9214) when low bridge nose pads were an option but they've since been discontinued already.
Glad to help! Mine are all the old ones with no nosepads or the newer 9238. I’ve never owned a pair of the 9214s.

Sometimes with the Asian fit pairs, the frame geometry is different and sometimes it’s just a different set of larger nosepads that bump out the frame more when wearing. Not sure about the 9214 Fives tho.

I would be willing to bet that a set of the Asian fit nosepads that you mentioned seeing on Amazon would fit on a regular 9238 frame. I looked them up and it looks like the mounts are probably the same, but the AF pads just stick out more. I looked on the parts site I linked earlier and you can get AF New Valve nosepads (sku 9243). I bet those would work on the Fives.

Also found a good example on Amazon that seems to show the difference. Looks like what they are calling Euro fit would just be the standard fit.

IMG_5747.jpeg

IMG_5748.jpeg

Back