• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is it me, or is Oakley's selection feeling a bit lacking lately?

We've discussed this topic on the forum a few times since I've been here.

They need to put out new frames every few years, that's a given. I don't mind that they're selling Frogs, it's the frame that really launched them into every day fashion. Kind of like how they still sell the M-Frame after over 20 years. I understand fashion and demand right now are for retro themes and frames like the Holbrook and Jupiter fill that out. I understand them wanting to cover a wider customer base and offering shield lenses, white frames, an array of sqaure-O stuff. It sells, people like it, that's great.

But it feels like they've moved away from the art & science, mad scientist, leather and skulls, aggressive designs. The things that made them stand out as innovative and cutting edge. Now they just make incremental improvements to sports frames, let Shaun White make a couple throwback designs, and rehash frames with a hole in the stem.

I really hope the 90's come back into style as the 80's has, then we might start getting Fives, Eye Jackets, Trench Coats, Top Coats, Romeo, Mars, influencing future pairs.

They need to put out new frames every few years, that's a given. I don't mind that they're selling Frogs, it's the frame that really launched them into every day fashion. Kind of like how they still sell the M-Frame after over 20 years. I understand fashion and demand right now are for retro themes and frames like the Holbrook and Jupiter fill that out. I understand them wanting to cover a wider customer base and offering shield lenses, white frames, an array of sqaure-O stuff. It sells, people like it, that's great.

But it feels like they've moved away from the art & science, mad scientist, leather and skulls, aggressive designs. The things that made them stand out as innovative and cutting edge. Now they just make incremental improvements to sports frames, let Shaun White make a couple throwback designs, and rehash frames with a hole in the stem.

I really hope the 90's come back into style as the 80's has, then we might start getting Fives, Eye Jackets, Trench Coats, Top Coats, Romeo, Mars, influencing future pairs.

Well said.

Oh PLEEEEEEASE let the 90's come back. I am a filmmaker and I feel like the 90's was the end of good films. Remember when monsters were real things. Animatronics or guys in rubber masks? That was scary. Remember when spaceships were little models but they flew by looking like massive space stations? Remember when it took SKILL to make a movie? Now it's all FX, and no one is fooled by it...it's like we're constantly watching pixar films just some better than others.

I hate to say it but most of the sytles go to the look of what everyone else is carrying. I remember years ago when Oakley had a ban on Sunglass hut for not selling there product. I wonder if they had too give in to what a large corporation wants. If you look on there site (Sunglass Hut) they really don't have any of the colors. Everything is black or brown and just plain.
Does anyone else remember the ban and what it was about I want to say it was somewhere in the late 90's. About the time their styles have taken a turn to what they are now. The ban was actually on Oakleys site for a while if I remember correctly. This was also before a lot of the Vault stores started up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this fact, I really don't remember all of the facts.

Oakley has kept their line of M frames going due to the actual use they get. Golf, Baseball, Riding, Military, etc.
I have worked in the Golf industry for over twenty years and the use for some styles has stayed about the same. Nothing wrong with that, what works is what works. I wish Oakley would offer more of the lense colors for some of the frames. Even if they were only sold as replacements. They offer a lot for the M frame and Radars but not for a lot of other stuff in the active or lifstyle. I'm sure some of it comes back to what sells but that just means that people have just lost their taste and styles have gone flat.

I hate to say it but most of the sytles go to the look of what everyone else is carrying. I remember years ago when Oakley had a ban on Sunglass hut for not selling there product. I wonder if they had too give in to what a large corporation wants. If you look on there site (Sunglass Hut) they really don't have any of the colors. Everything is black or brown and just plain.
Does anyone else remember the ban and what it was about I want to say it was somewhere in the late 90's. About the time their styles have taken a turn to what they are now. The ban was actually on Oakleys site for a while if I remember correctly. This was also before a lot of the Vault stores started up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this fact, I really don't remember all of the facts.

Oakley has kept their line of M frames going due to the actual use they get. Golf, Baseball, Riding, Military, etc.
I have worked in the Golf industry for over twenty years and the use for some styles has stayed about the same. Nothing wrong with that, what works is what works. I wish Oakley would offer more of the lense colors for some of the frames. Even if they were only sold as replacements. They offer a lot for the M frame and Radars but not for a lot of other stuff in the active or lifstyle. I'm sure some of it comes back to what sells but that just means that people have just lost their taste and styles have gone flat.
That's another thing that bugs me. Oakleys website is hella confusing now. Active...lifestyle...whats the difference? Don't explain it to me, the point is there shouldn't be one. They don't have enough models to break it up like that, and whos searching on that premise? I get the sports section because that's what M frames are best for but those other two sections make no sense. They should be split up in sport, X-Metal, wire, and plastic...ahem....O-Matter, and all of that split mens and women's. Otherwise their glasses aren't different enough or as varied to warrant an organization system like that. I picked lifestyle and saw one whole page of randomly sorted models and then looked everywhere for the "next page" button, only to finally realize, "wait...this is it?" It used to be pages upon pages of different models but now I have to go digging to find stuff. Even the search function never works to my advantage (let me search for discontinued items Oakley! You may not sell them anymore but they still exist and I still may need to know about them!!!).

Back