• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Microfiber bag cleaning

SecretNinja

I am Jim Janard's Cousin's Brother In Law
Krypton
What's the best way to thoroughly clean microfiber bags? A lot of mine are starting to leave behind oily smudges on my lenses. I tried the washing machine with hot water and no soap or detergent. Didn't work.

I wash mine in the washing machine, but I use a detergent for sportswear with a membrane. This detergent leaves no residue. I leave the wash cycle on multi rinses. I put the microfibre bags in a mash Bag.
I put mine periodically into a mesh bag and then into a normal wash with normal detergent, and hang out to dry. I’ve been doing it for years. Seems to work just fine for me.

@SecretNinja, is detergent supposed to be bad for them?

Although in the past I used to follow some of the steps here, learning about auto detailing has taught me a few things about microfiber lately.
1. Avoid high heat. Since mf is a mix of polyester and polyamide, exposing them to high heata damages the fibers. Hence don't use hot water to wash and only tumble dry with no or low heat (or better yet, air dry).

2. Do not use detergents with fabric softeners as these just will eventually clog up the fibers. Same goes for dri-fit type athletic wear. Use dye and perfume free detergent instead.

3. If using the dryer, do not use dryer sheets. See explanation #2 above.

4. For a simple way to wash just fill a bucket with cool or warm water and add some detergent to it. Dump the mf bags in there and let soak a bit. You can add a very little bit of distilled white vinegar to it for the soak. Then just hand wash, rinse the bejeezus out of it and air dry.

I put mine periodically into a mesh bag and then into a normal wash with normal detergent, and hang out to dry. I’ve been doing it for years. Seems to work just fine for me.

@SecretNinja, is detergent supposed to be bad for them?
Not that I know of. I just thought that detergent left a residue on them. I tried that too a long time ago and it was still leaving smudges on my lenses.

Back