• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Most Enjoyable Lens To Look Through

Hey guys, new to "good" sunglasses and looking to invest in a good pair and looking at oakleys. My biggest concern before spending money is finding the right lenses for me. Looking for something that will not let a lot of light through for driving and general outdoor use, maybe some biking here or there. I'd like something that doesn't let too much light through and cannot see my eyes through the lenses. I tried a friends pair of Fast Jacket XLs with polarized lenses but I do not know which. I love the clarity and everything looks amazing but I feel like they let more light through than other glasses I have used and am used to. I know this may not be the best place to post this but I am looking for some advice and hoped a thread about "best lenses" might be a good place to ask people with more experience.

I do not have a ton of places around me to really go and test/try on a lot of different pairs and lenses and will probably be limited to ordering online when I try to decide on something.

Well, I am sure there is a forum member here that can post the lense chart, I can't ATM. But each lense has a different light transmission, so your friend could have had a prizm lense, which is most likely if they were the new flak xl, in my experience they allow a lot of light through, I would go with a darker lense for what you seem to be looking for. Black iridium pol and imo fire iridium is extremely good as well. Maybe more of a rant ,but I tried to start off helpful! Hope any of that helps

Well, I am sure there is a forum member here that can post the lense chart, I can't ATM. But each lense has a different light transmission, so your friend could have had a prizm lense, which is most likely if they were the new flak xl, in my experience they allow a lot of light through, I would go with a darker lense for what you seem to be looking for. Black iridium pol and imo fire iridium is extremely good as well. Maybe more of a rant ,but I tried to start off helpful! Hope any of that helps
Thanks a lot, this does help. I was original looking at "polarized prizm" lenses thinking they would be "higher quality" from the descriptions I read on Oakleys website but it definitely sounds like for what I am looking for, the normal polarized would work better. At least I know a couple styles in particular of polarized to look for. I do prefer just the straight black or the red/yellow/orange of the 2 lenses you recommended so there a good chance I will end up going with one of those but I will try to see if I can find somewhere to actually try them first, and try to find that chart you mentioned. Thanks again. For what it's worth my friends glasses are yellow flak XL frames with blueish lenses when you look at them. They say polarized on them not prizm. I can try and get a picture. I guess I'm cure most about finding out which type of lenses these have and what their light transmission is so if it's say 15%, I know okay I do not want 15 I want to look for something lower.

Thanks a lot, this does help. I was original looking at "polarized prizm" lenses thinking they would be "higher quality" from the descriptions I read on Oakleys website but it definitely sounds like for what I am looking for, the normal polarized would work better. At least I know a couple styles in particular of polarized to look for. I do prefer just the straight black or the red/yellow/orange of the 2 lenses you recommended so there a good chance I will end up going with one of those but I will try to see if I can find somewhere to actually try them first, and try to find that chart you mentioned. Thanks again. For what it's worth my friends glasses are yellow flak XL frames with blueish lenses when you look at them. They say polarized on them not prizm. I can try and get a picture. I guess I'm cure most about finding out which type of lenses these have and what their light transmission is so if it's say 15%, I know okay I do not want 15 I want to look for something lower.
I think you're talking about ice iridium polarized which is 9% light transmission... You can go for black iridium polarized which is also 9%light transmission.

Hey guys, new to "good" sunglasses and looking to invest in a good pair and looking at oakleys. My biggest concern before spending money is finding the right lenses for me. Looking for something that will not let a lot of light through for driving and general outdoor use, maybe some biking here or there. I'd like something that doesn't let too much light through and cannot see my eyes through the lenses. I tried a friends pair of Fast Jacket XLs with polarized lenses but I do not know which. I love the clarity and everything looks amazing but I feel like they let more light through than other glasses I have used and am used to. I know this may not be the best place to post this but I am looking for some advice and hoped a thread about "best lenses" might be a good place to ask people with more experience.

I do not have a ton of places around me to really go and test/try on a lot of different pairs and lenses and will probably be limited to ordering online when I try to decide on something.
BIP will be your choice to go for. :)

Back