• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need some guidance on Wiretaps

mikefraz

Oakley Beginner
A little background first. I'm a "one pair" type of guy. I'm looking for a do it all pair of Oakley's. I mountain bike, run, kayak, and shoot guns pretty regularly. I also have to dress somewhat formally for work though. So after doing a little bit of research, I came across the new version of the Wiretaps. I liked that they were metal as they have more of a "robust" feel to them. They'd also work well with dressier attire. I'm undecided on which frame/lens color to pick. I was hoping someone would chip on on their opinion and post pictures if possible. If you have a suggestion on a similar model of Oakley's that may work, feel free to speak up. Thanks.

The wiretap sounds like a good choice for what you are looking for. If you are only going to have one pair, I would probably recommend the matte black / black iridium polarized version. Black sunglasses go with anything, and the BIP lens covers almost any situation except low light. The only downfall of the wiretap, and it's a big one, is that Oakley does not sell replacement lenses. If you scratch the lenses, either you buy a whole new pair or are forced to get aftermarket lenses (Fuse sells them for the wiretap). I'll also mention that if you have access to the Verizon Wireless rewards points program, or Citi Easy Deals rewards program, the wiretap is available for a nice discount.

Here's a pic with Tungsten frame and OO Black Iridium Polarized lenses. This was a custom combo not a stock colorway.

image.jpg

I'm pulling towards either the matte black frames or the carbon. Can anyone verify what the carbon frames actually look like? In some photos they appear silver and in others they almost gave a greenish gunmetal grey color. The matte black is probably the safest option but I'm kinda liking the OO4071-04 Wiretaps.

I've seen that being said a decent amount on this forum, is that a running joke or something? Haha. I mean I'd prefer to be able to oggle a nice butt when it walks by without my wife noticing, but its not a deal breaker if you can see my eyes through the lens. I wonder if they have the carbon frame with the black iridium lenses...

In this picture it looks pretty much like silver.
MG6754_zpswxfadz1b.jpg

But then in this next picture it looks like a darker greenish grey.
OO417140710261_07_detalhes3_zpso82tpecz.jpg

I'm pulling more towards the matte black with the black iridium polarized frames. Then people won't be able to see my eyes too :)

Yes haha, I guess you noticed I was using the sarcasm font :) Some people are concerned about their eyes being seen, others are not.

I think the best place to find actual pictures when you can't find them here or with a Google search is actually eBay. I searched for oakley carbon wiretap and there were several listings with real pics that should give you a good idea on what color the carbon frame is.

Also, after looking at glasses in the same size range, I noticed the fives squared and the gascans. Any experience with either of those?

The Gascan and Fives Squared are lifestyle frames, they don't have unobtainium ears for grip... I would avoid these since it sounds like you are pretty active. Gascan does not fit with dressier attire IMO, Fives Squared might. But I'm still saying Wiretap probably checks all the boxes for what you need.

Polished black with black iridium look the smartest and will go with anything

Back