• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Progressives with Issues

Edward98

Oakley Beginner
I'm on the second set of progressive lenses on a pair of Flak Jacket XL's. The first set were nearly unusable as the reading portion of the lenses were only on the bottom 10%. The "optician" at the Oakley store said that they were measured wrong and had them remade. On this second set of lenses, I find my head hurting as soon as I put them on. I have trouble focusing on anything at mid-distance - like my computer screen. Looking into the distance, things seem fine; but if I move my eyes around, everything is immediately blurry. Looking at my phone, the magnification is clear, if not a bit distorted.

I also picked up brand new pair Salt frames with Varilux X progressives the next day and had no issues whatsoever. For reference, I also have glasses with Shamir Autograph Intelligence, Varilux Comfort and even a pair of Warby Parker progressives. I'm regularly swap between all of these lenses without any sensitivity.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm on the second set of progressive lenses on a pair of Flak Jacket XL's. The first set were nearly unusable as the reading portion of the lenses were only on the bottom 10%. The "optician" at the Oakley store said that they were measured wrong and had them remade. On this second set of lenses, I find my head hurting as soon as I put them on. I have trouble focusing on anything at mid-distance - like my computer screen. Looking into the distance, things seem fine; but if I move my eyes around, everything is immediately blurry. Looking at my phone, the magnification is clear, if not a bit distorted.

I also picked up brand new pair Salt frames with Varilux X progressives the next day and had no issues whatsoever. For reference, I also have glasses with Shamir Autograph Intelligence, Varilux Comfort and even a pair of Warby Parker progressives. I'm regularly swap between all of these lenses without any sensitivity.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Knowing your rx would help. But it's good to know you generally don't have issues w progressive. That being said shamir AI is the best progressive on the market. I'd expect it to be much better than Oakley rx. And same w Varilux X... another of the best lenses on the market.

Warby PAL and even comfort are now "older" style lenses. But since the are probably in a flat frame that's always easier to adjust.

2 thoughts... since they already remade them it sounds better at NEAR than the first try. So perhaps the PD measurement isn't correct on the new Oakley? This could be the optician didn't measure properly, did a typo, or Oakley made them wrong. A good optician can remeasure that, and make sure is correct. Pd should probably match the #used on your AI shamir and X design Varilux lens. If Oakley made it wrong free redo. If your provider measured incorrectly they might need to remake for u out of their pocket (not your fault right).

My other idea is maybe you got a cycling or golf designed Oakley progressive? Those have smaller reading areas and might be enough different you need more time to adjust. Lastly, even w the standard Oakley rx design the "intermediate" vision. Mid range at 3 feet is, won't be as clear as your other flat lenses. These are sport frames and distance rightfully is the place the lens design prioritized. Hope that helps

Ps- go look at a progressive lens map on Google images. You'll see 99%off progressive lenses have an hourglass design. The "waist" or middle of your lenses are very narrow. So moving your eyes side to side is going to blur. That's normal. So turn your head more until you adjust. I can it pointing w your nose, or move more side to side w your neck. Hopefully u get what I'm saying. Try not to be so much of an eye mover and now more of a had mover.

I used same progressive lenses for last 4 years with Gauge 5.1 (changed the frames every year).
I got new lenses and frames (wingfold). The lenses are preatty much the same size (and same prescription). However, I can't use the new glasses, and I came to the conclusion that the new lenses are distorting and when I slightly turn my head, it blures.
Is the antiscratch coating the culprit?
When I did my old glasses, I read that the Oakley lenses were made from glass, I think they were saying something like "cut from the same peice of glass". But I never bother to investigate if my old lenses were made from glass as I was very happy with them and I can't tell that they are actually glass made.
Now, it seems that Oakley only makes policarbonat lenses, so again, would that be a reason for new lenses to distort?

All progressives will not be as clear in the periphery as the centre. That’s how they work. Anti-scratch is absolutely not the problem. And no, the would definitely not be glass. Always polycarbonate.
Move your head more, problem solved.

Back