• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New Romeo and juliets incoming?

Without specs and details - I couldn’t wager a bet either way.

Big question is: is this a clone of the old simply moved to a different manufacturing medium, or re-designed specifically for this 3D printing?
If re-design — one would assume equal or better than previous.
If clone of old - who knows....would be interested in some of the metallurgy folks to chime in :)

@Grogidubnus
@zwc0442
@THE X-MAN
@qtrain23
Looks like they basically started from scratch.

For the re-release of the iconic frames, Oakley’s research and development took more than two years, resulting in over 400 designs alongside endless modeling and testing to land on the perfect design – a hand-finished, 3D printed and titanium-cast frame, the Oakley MUZM Series 1875 X Metal® Edition.

It says they’re hand finished. I’m sure they print them, then grind off any layering and support interfaces, then blast them to Xmetal. Would be interesting to have a pair that’s essentially perfect geometry wise, without the variation from casting
Furthermore, features like fitting holes and tapped holes need machining, you can't print those.

For the re-release of the iconic frames, Oakley’s research and development took more than two years, resulting in over 400 designs alongside endless modeling and testing to land on the perfect design – a hand-finished, 3D printed and titanium-cast frame, the Oakley MUZM Series 1875 X Metal® Edition.

Well according to the year “1875” i am sure it took them that long to perfect it :biggrin: :grin:

wow i read that wrong. i thought the original design took 2 years. why would it take two years to “design” a copy and make 14 of each?!!?

why didn’t anyone just commission a fabrication contractor already working on TI and hand them a pair and say “make a copy”?

Last edited:
wow i read that wrong. i thought the original design took 2 years. why would it take terri years to “design” a copy and make 14 of each?!!?

why didn’t anyone just commission a fabrication contractor already working on TI and hand them a pair and say “make a copy”
They had to make it sound exciting